Friday, November 10, 2006

Back in training

I'm in week two of my 3-month off-season training plan laid out by my coach, Kylie. I'm having fun being back into the groove of working out. Weight traiing with Jess is still such fun.

I've been reading Roman Mica's My Training Starts Tommorrow, and it has been an enjoyable read. One thing I really like is where he talks about being Ironfit in addition to being an Ironman. I do totally desire to be an Ironman, to finish several of them actually. But the real bonus in my life is that I will be Ironfit! How fun will life be then! As Roman says . . .

"For me, being an Ironman isn't really all that important. Sure it may be the icing on the cake, but the real treat is being Ironfit.

I walk around all day with this sweet secret that only I know. It's not something I tell people because the telling isn't important, it's the knowing that's really important. I keep it to myself and treasure it.

For instance, I know I can run 14 miles at a drop of a hat fairly easily. I know this because I just did it the other day . . . "

This is so true! Right after I did my first tri I was bursting with a sense of accomplishment and pride, and I'm sure I talked too much about it, but my excitement level was through the roof! Now that I've come back down to earth (well, most of the way), I now know I can do a triathlon, a short one, but I can do one. It is a great feeling to have, and as I progress further in this sport and eventually become Ironfit, what a "sweet secret" that will be to have inside me!

7 comments:

Wes said...

Yes, you are Duane. You are a tri-athlete. I am a tri-wannabe. You and I share a dream, of becoming Iron. Who knows... Maybe we will end up at the same venue together. You can do this. We both can, but we have to have the spirit of Iron long before have the body...

I have picked out my first sprint. Time to discuss with the boss lady :-)

Iron Pol said...

The nice thing about this journey is it will give you the time to enjoy the changes in your life. And you'll appreciate them for the work.

I didn't do a good job of it, so here's a suggestion. Take some pictures if you aren't already doing it. Over time, you'll be amazed.

And one day, you'll sit back and think about the way that a three mile run is suddenly a "short run" and a 10 miler is something you can just jump up and go do.

But without that, you have still done something that many never do. You made a choice for change, planned for success, and started the journey.

S. Baboo said...

Have a great off season!

My wife, Athena Diaries, and I are now registered for SOMA 07 so I guess we'll see you there.

I also challenged the Clydesdale Trot to a race at Soma and he took me up on it so he'll be there as well.

It would be cool to have a large raceAthlete Clyde showing at Soma.

jbmmommy said...

You can never talk it too much here! Some day being Ironfit would be awesome. To me anything over a 3-mile run is still long. I hope to someday go our for an easy 5 miles. We'll all get there with time and effort. Keep up the good work.

LBTEPA said...

I lved this post- it really made me smile :) I love being fit and look forward to being much fitter - and no-one knows about it by looking at me.
Unless I tell them LOL. I love talking about it too!

Anonymous said...

Hey Duane --

For a good portion of the 18 months I trained for my first IM, I had a sticker on the bathroom mirror which said,

"There will be days when you think you'll never be an Ironman. But there will be a lifetime of knowing that you are."

Enjoy the journey, and I look forward to welcoming you into the best club I've ever joined... lots of dues, and one hellish initiation, but the membership lasts a lifetime.

--Steve

Herself, the GeekGirl said...

You might also enjoy another book - I think it's called "Heft on the Bike". I've been reading it; it's a very contemplative read.