Dropped 3 more pounds, overall a very good week.
My coach and I discussed the 1/2 IM and I have decided to drop it for this year as I am way behind on training due to the 4 months off with my foot. My "A" races are going to be the Glenwood Tri again and the SOMA Quarterman. I feel good about this decision.
I booked my flight today for IM Louisville. Two reasons I'm going - one is to get motivated and to see an IM race, and the other is to support and hang out with a very cool tri-blogger! Hopefully I will get to meet up again with Geekgirl, the Clydeologist, and hopefully get to meet none other than IronPol. If any of you are going, let me know!
Went to the Ortho Dr for my foot and here is what he had to say. Since my big toe and calicifed and is so much shoerter than the 2nd and 3rd toes, they take all the pressure of my strides ( I hope to have a copy of the x-ray posted soon as I know you are all just dying to see my messed up foot!) The first option was to have a metatarsal bar put on my shoe so I don't land on those toes. I need to wear it for 6 weeks to see how it does. The other option is to have surgery where they would actually take bone out of toes # 2 and 3 and bring them into alignment with the big toe (joints, etc). I don't want to go there if possible!
Check out the bottom of the shoe:
Tommorrow I have a 45 minute bike, a swim lesson with Pete, then a 1:15 walk, and then a nap! Have a great week!
20 comments:
I know it's really hard to make a decision to scrap a race, but it's the best decision.
Besides, now you get to kick some serious butt at Glenwood.
Hey, maybe I should visit to go cheer you on!
Dude! Going to an Ironman is a great idea. Great minds :-)
I have never seen a shoe wear like that. Good luck, no matter which direction to decide to go.
Great attitude Duane. A race schedule is never cast in stone. Let's hope that metatarsal bar does the trick!
Hope the metatarsal bar works for you.
Good call and attitude on race schedule. We can increase our bodies' budgets, but we should still mostly live within them, increased as they may be.
Sounds like good decisions on the race schedule. SOMA quarterman...hmmm...maybe I could do that....
We will also be doing the SOMA quarterman. We'll see you there also!
That's sounds like a really good decision as you are aiming for a long-term lifestyle change not just a one-year hobby. I'm sure you'll do better at all the races because they're more appropriate to where you are in your preparation, if you see what I mean!
Good luck with the shoe-alterations :)
It's always hard to make changes to a season you have already planned out but sometimes it si just the smartest thing to do if you are going to live to fight another day.
As Misty said, we'll be doing the Soma Quarterman too since I've decided to do the Tri One-O-One in Texas on Nov. 11th.
We''l get to race!
when you get ready to come down for SOMA, you have to let me know!
Duane,
That is some roll bar!
Roll Baby Roll! I'm hoping this will do the trick.
Mary
Sounds like a good decision Duane. Keep up the good work!
You just keep cranking away and remember to have fun! This is a lifestyle, not just this years thing to do - you'll get there eventually with your mindset. Good luck with your feet - it's OK to be a better swimmer and biker than a runner when you're a clyde...
That is a strange shoe contraption... hope it works!
Keep up the great work! As Bigun said... "this is a lifestyle." You have plenty of time to get to your ultimate goal.
Your blog has been one of my favorites for a couple months. You determination to persavere is motivating for me. I had no idea until this blog post of your how much we have in common. I am a former 300puonder who fights my weight problem w/ triathlon. The clydeologist and Geekgirl are my fellow Outlaw teammates and I to have been coached by Pete for awhile now. Small world isnt it? Thank you for setting a great example in your unwillinmgness to allow ANYTHING to stop you from acomplishing you Iron goals.
Sometimes you just know when to stop and re-evaluate. Life can throw many challenges at us and we must do our best to succeed. Keep up the training and hold your spirits up high!
dude - wow. You got some messed up feet there, eh?
Never mind. Everybody has their battles. It just makes me want to tell people to be grateful when they have arms and legs that work - but everybody has their thing.
Don't worry - that race will still be there when you feel better about it.
There'll be plenty of races in the future so no need to rush the 1/2 IM. In the meantime, I hope that metatarsal bar helps your foot. Keep up the good work!!!
Got to your blog thanks to bigun. I have the exact same shoes and I love them. You can take the weight off and I am living proof of that. Check out my blog at http://www.mikewimmer.blogspot.com and remember this is a lifestyle change and not a diet. It took me a long time to embrace that. Good luck and keep at it. It really is fun to work out.
Post a Comment