Monday, June 04, 2007

It's Getting Closer!

In less than 2 weeks I will be participating in my second triathlon, the Topeka Tinman in Kansas ( a mini-sprint). It has a 300 yard swim, an 8.26 mile bike, and a 5k. Quite a bit shorter than my first one but I get nervous at times thinking about it. It will be my first open water swim (except for fooling around in lakes in Arkansas when I was a kid). So today I was thinking that it seems like a lot of people panic on their open water swim. I’m thinking, okay, if I start to panic or hyperventilate, I can make it 300 yards hyperventilating or swimming on my back if need be, so I have decided that the swim should not be an issue.

What is sometimes an issue with me is being seen in my swim suit. I will just have to get accept it and hopefully I will inspire more people to make a change. I know at least 4-5 people have made huge changes or are going for their first tri because they saw my story. That really makes me feel good and is worth any embarressment I may feel June 16th! As Mary (who is totally awesome) shared with me: We must live our dreams in the bodies we have. We don't have to prove ANYTHING to anyone.

The bike is supposed to be pancake flat. I hope so, although some downhill action would sure be nice! My bike’s front derailleur is messed up and as much as I tinker with it I cannot get it to come out of the small chain ring without using both hands to press on the lever and then it only goes to the middle chain ring. I need to get that fixed and I am going to take off the tires with small nubs and replace them with slicks (I need any advantage I can get as I am slow as a turtle and I still have visions of the lady who must have been 60+ , blowing by me on last years tri and telling me to “Hang in there!” I laugh whenever I think about that! It really was pretty funny).

The 5k I will walk, I am hoping to do it under 1:20, but we’ll see. I will probably be last on the course again and I am fine with that, it is all about just finishing at this point.

3 weeks after Topeka is the Cornman Sprint in Iowa with a really killer hill and lots of “rollers”. I think the “rollers” will all seems like killer hills! I am going to bike up hills every time I get outside on my bike. I know I will probably not make it up the killer hill all the way without getting off my bike, but I want to make it up as far as I can and I want to make it further up the hill than at least one other person. Then I have 9 weeks of training before Glenwood Springs on September 9th. Then another 7 weeks until the SOMA Quarterman in AZ, in late October.

Today’s workout was swim 300 warm-up,main set: 4x 5minutes straight, and 200 kick cool down.
Tuesday is a brick workout of 15 minutes walk, 30 bike, 15 walk and 30 bike.
Wednesday is 30 minutes on the treadmill and then strength training with Jess.
Thursday is bike outside 1 hour.
Friday’s swim is 1700 yards with strength training in the evening.
Saturday is another brick of walk 10 minutes, bike 20, repeat three times.
Sunday is 1 hour bike outside.

Then it’s a taper week with Monday and Thursday off all together, Tuesday is a bike of 30 minutes easy, some core on Wednesday, and on Friday a 10 minute walk and then a 10 minute bike to make sure everything is operational. Then Saturday is the race. Now that I see how little training I have left before the race, I’m getting nervous again (I’m so silly sometimes!)

I don’t want to sound like a broken record, but again I have to say thanks to everyone for their encouragement and support. I have met some really great people here in blogland and am making some really good friendships. Over the course of this summer I am going to be able to meet 6-10 more bloggers in person and that will be great!

Kelly is swimming tonight and biking tomorrow. She is doing great on her tri training and I am so excited to be training with her!

I hope you have a really great week!

Duane

15 comments:

S. Baboo said...

Race day approaches...yahoo! I remember that your blog was brought to my attention because of your first race report. I can't wait for another!

And dude...get that bike looked at right away, I've already paid for my numbskullery, enjoy a chuckle at my expense but don't feel the need to investigate it on your own!

Herself, the GeekGirl said...

Hey, dude - the only person you have to try to beat is yourself. Remember: < DFL < DNF << DNS (dead flipping last is better than did not finish, and both are way better than did not start! You Rock!

LBTEPA said...

Duane I just want to say that you inspire me to persevere with a healthier lifestyle - I hope one day I can come to the US and do a tri with you!
Looking forward to your race report- as geekgrl said, RCR(really crappy race) beats DFL beats DNF beats DNS! We're proud of you, your family and friends are proud of you and you are proud of yourself. That's what matters.
Take care mate

Unknown said...

Don't fret about what anyone thinks about how you look in the race. The people that know you know where you come from and that's all that matters.
Good Luck to you, I'm sure you'll do awesome.

Wes said...

Duane, if you are concerned how you look in a bathing suit, then race naked my friend. Pardon my French, but F that!! It's your race. That's all that matters.

Brent Buckner said...

Looks like a great season - glad that your enthusiasm is infectious!

Brigitte said...

I am with Wes. :)
Who cares ? you are doing this for you and of course for all of us reading your blog. :)Thanks.

Kelly Kiana's Tri-Blog said...

daddy im so proud of u and u really like to type or u do a lot of stuff. Ithink its both! love u

Wrenched Photography said...

Your gonna rock it! As for the bathing suit, nothing and I mean nothing can top geriatric speedo guy with a too large speedo.

M said...

I am so excited for you to race! Sorry I have been MIa so I have missed some of the posts, but I will definately be cheering you on from over here in Chicago!

Bigun said...

you are gonna rock! all that work comes down to race day - the swim shouldn't even be an issue for you - 300's are your warmups! You've been bikeing - get yours fixed, get those slicks, and your RACING, MAN! Can't wait for the report (and yes, I'm slacking with mine, I know...).

Unknown said...

You ROCK!! Get out there and run your own race. You really are an inspiration. So many of us will be thinking of you, cheering you on from the distance, and waiting impatiently for the race report. :)

Anonymous said...

Duane, I really don't see you panicking on the swim. I think you're going to enjoy every minute of the Tinman!

Jenny said...

I completely agree that how you look is not important - I had to really think about that before I wore my all-in one skin tight tri-suit on my 195 pound body! But nobody laughted at me or banished me from the race, and it really did feel good! I can't wait to hear about your open water swim - I'm determined not to panic next time. I can see your swim workouts have been focused and strong (unlike mine, which are just "get in pool, swim for a while, get out. I'm sure that is part of my problem!

Mary Sunshine said...

Dear Duane,

You are loved by so many people!

Keep Smilin', Keep Shinin'!

Mary