Tuesday, July 24, 2007

back in the pool

Kelly and I swam last night and of course she wanted to race. So we raced but the condition was no kicking (which I love anyway). Well I smoked her at last! I was breathing every 8-10 stokes and really blasting away. But then of course, we had to race with kicking and I could see her steadily pull away, leaving me in her wake! Some day Kelly!

Only 11 more days till the IronHorse Triathlon! Sounds so cool, doesn't it! The shirt should be cool too! (Don't tell anyone how short it is, shhh!). But it should be fun as there is a fitness division in addition to the competitive division and the race director (per Jay), is really into getting ordinary folks out doing this thing for health. That should be very nice!

My weight went back up a few pounds and I'm frustrated again, but I know I must hang in there and be consistent. Work is overwhelming and I was pretty depressed today with the job and the weight and felt like a truck had hit me (sore everything), so I took the day off at noon and am going to watch movies with Kelly and chill out.

See ya!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's great that you guys can race each other and you both win!

That fitness division sounds like a wonderful idea.

Brent Buckner said...

Nice that you could get away at noon. Good family time at the pool and movies too I bet.

Tea said...

What a great image of the two of you racing!

Don't worry about the extra weight. You know that your body fluctuates all the time. I think there's only 2 days a month when I'm at my "true" weight. :)

Wes said...

What tea said :-) I'm always between a 4-6 pound range. It all has to do, I believe, with how much water your body is retaining. I've notice during recovery weeks when I slack off, my body weight actually drops to the low. Interesting! Come on, Duane! Through the Wall, bro!

LBTEPA said...

I'm gald you could get some family time to help you through a discouraging time.
What they said about the weight! You know you're doing the right things so it will start to happen in time. Probably your body is still startled by your increasing fitness and so it can't concentrate properly on shedding the kgs (says Dr LBTEPA LOL)

Kate said...

Hey Duane~

Hang in there triathlete! You are doing great and I know it's hard but maybe try concentrating on fitness and not on the numbers on the scale. As I have found, if you keep on training and getting fitter those numbers will go down.
I will see you and Jay in a week and a half!!!

bigmike600 said...

If I do not kick, I sink like an anchor so if I was in that race, consider me smoked as well. Glad to see you are excited to do your next tri. Sounds fun. What movies did you watch? I watch a few myself and you can never count on the previews you see because they all make them out to look like a good movie but you rent it and it stinks so I like to get real people reviews. Keep up the good work.

Unknown said...

My experience - Before a big dip down on the scale, I took a swing up for a few days. Not sure why, but happened pretty consistently.
At any rate, hang in there and keep doing what has worked for you so well to this point. Plateaus just need to be ridden out.

Anonymous said...

My first triathlon was called the "Stoneman." I thought that one sounded pretty cool, too.