Saturday, October 27, 2007

In Tempe - OMG! The Water!

Drove to Albuquerque and stayed in a motel (Motel 6 - what a dive!). Then drove on and arrived here in Tempe about 3:30 yesterday afternoon. Staying at the Hyatt, not a dive - HD Flat screen, etc. Verrrry nice since it also has free breakfast!

So, I'm standing in line to check in and there's this really cute blond at the next rep, then I realize it's Debi (Sw TriGal). Very sweet gal. Met her hubby Hartley also, great guy, very likeable people! Picked up the registration goodies and looked around a bit. The race seems to be very well organized. The hotel is running shuttles starting at 6:00 am. Excuse me, you are the official race hotel! Transition opens at 4:30, hello! I'm pretty sure most people here have at least a touch of OCPD and will not be walking into transition at the last moment!

I'm off to check out the bike course. I am pumped but also nervous!

Oh yes, Bigun, the swag is good! Pics to follow on Tuesday!

Lot's of hot looking people (read skinny) and hot equipment around. Not that I feel different LOL, I'll save that for when I wheel my $140 E-bay mountain bike into bike check in, repleat with all it's duct tape and all those skinny people on their $3,000 carbon bikes can drool over my sweet ride! (and if you are skinny, please don' take offense, just feeling a bit envious and embarrassed at the moment).

Just got back from surveying the bike course, and I'm sure all the freaking skinny people here think it's flat, NOT! When you are on a road where there is a rise in elevation to the other end and it's not undulating, that does not mean it is flat. Yes, yes, I know, the plane is "flat" but there is still a rise in altitude! Okay, maybe "tilted" is a better word - "Our course is flat but has many areas of tiltedness within". Yes, that would be a better description! I always get psyched out on the ride survey, but, I just have to finish. I do not need to make a certain time, next year I will worry about that!

I will be in the first swim wave which goes off at 6:30 am. I should be able to be done with the bike before it gets too hot, as it is supposed to be about 90 degrees tomorrow. Then I can take my time on the Bataan Death March - er, I mean the run portion :-)

I'm looking forward to meeting more bloggers today and tonight at the dinner.

OMG - the water is 69 degrees! Argh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tempe is pretty, lots of bike lanes, and dry weather. More later on! Have a great day!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update, Duane!

Danielle in Iowa in Ireland said...

Good luck Duane! I hope there are no hills of death on the course!

Wes said...

90 degrees? 70 degree water?? Sounds like a recipe for a good race to me :-) I ain't skinny, but I wouldn't take offense. Soon, we'll be getting picks of you on your carbon steed! Woo hooo! Kick some arse, Duane!!!

rebecca hallin said...

go eateeeeeeem up. I will run hard tomorrow at my %k knowing you are working hard too!

Bigun said...

69 and no wetsuit does not a happy swimmer make.....but you'll do fine...hey, you're READY to kick ass tomorrow!

Herself, the GeekGirl said...

WHy did you stay in a motel 6? We have a guest room...remember that next time.

Herself, the GeekGirl said...

WHy did you stay in a motel 6? We have a guest room...remember that next time.