Saturday, February 28, 2009

February Totals

Swim: 12,450 yds
Hours training: 46
Weight today - 386

Weight - Gained back 13 pounds in two weeks. I was stalled at 373 so Pete had me check out using a Tri Nutritionist who said I was starving myself. So she doubled my carbs and raised me from 2100 cals average to 3800. She says to hang in there and let my body adjust. I am starting to freak out. It is March and I am so far away from fitting into a wet suit and being where I need to be, I am frustrated! Crap!

My friend Brandy shared a quote with me today: "Failure is not an option; hope is not a strategy" I like it.

And some humor:

13 comments:

LBTEPA said...

hang in there darl ((hugs)) if you've been faffing with your metabolism, when it comes good you won't know yourself. Hope is not a strategy, Iron Duane!!

Calyx Meredith said...

That's a great quotation. I'm sorry you're frustrated - I would be too! Especially considering how close you were to a big milestone. Could that have been part of it, do you think? Maybe there's a middle road between the 2100 and the 3800 calories? I know you'll find your way through this part of the iron journey! Hang in there!!

M said...

Brandy's right.

Duane - hang in there, and trust the professionals. You are putting in tremendous training numbers, so just keep doing what you're doing. REmember - it's not the size of the steps you are taking, but that you are taking them that matters. EAch step keeps moving you forward.

21stCenturyMom said...

Whoa! There's no way you should have to gain that much weight to start losing again. I'm sorry but 3800 cals/day is absurd - no wonder you gained weight. So is 2100 (way too low). I would think 2800 - 3000 is about right for you and you need a lot of protein.

Cut the carbs in half again. Carbs are poison to some people - they are to me. And by carbs I mean bread, rice, pasta and potatoes. You can eat any and all fruits and vegetables.

I don't care what the Tri nutritionist says. I agree that at 2100 cals/day you are starving yourself and that is counter productive. I just can't see you having to go so far in the other direction, though.

jbmmommy said...

Sorry for your frustrations. I hope you're able to figure out what will work best for you. Stick with it, you're doing a great job on the training front. Take care.

Wes said...

doooood! I would starve on 2100 calorie WITHOUT any exercise! If you throw your body into starvation mode it will just be that much harder. You keep working hard and let your body adjust. Best advice I've heard yet...

Go Mom Go said...

Thinking about you.

Have faith...it will all work!

ShirleyPerly said...

Sorry to hear things haven't been going so well on the weight front. Give yourself some time but a reasonable time limit too and if by then things haven't turned around, it's time to get a second opinion.

Love that quote of Brandy's!

ShesAlwaysWrite said...

That's a fantastic quote!

I know how you feel about the calories; I'm struggling with having gained some back too. Hang in there, we'll make it!

H said...

Ooh that must be hard but just trust it and try to get your body and metabolism back where it should be!
Good luck!

Mary Sunshine said...

Duane,

Hang in there. Please update us!

Mary

KrissyGo! said...

Oh man, that had to be discouraging, but I know you'll come through -- especially with all the miles/yards you're logging!

Melissa said...

Hey duane,

We haven't heard from you in awhile. How's it going? Hopefully well.

We're all rootin' for ya.

Take care,
Melissa