Saturday, May 28, 2011

Oh wow!


This morning I went out to ride the first hill of the Elephant Rock course that I am signed up for next week. I needed to know if I could even make it up it. With 4 weeks off the bike, I am not where I should be and I am not where I want to be with my weight.

The first hill is about 4.5 miles long, I really didn't think I was going to get up it. Half way up I took a break and was mad and frustrated with myself, so much so I couldn't see through the tears. I have not been that mad and frustrated in a long time. I used a "Calyx", I used that anger to fuel me to make it to the top. My old self would have quit, but damn it, I was going to make it to the top of that effing hill!

I made it to the top, and then thought, "Hell, I may as well go a little bit further!" Then there were a couple short serious "rollers" ( I call them serious hills, but whatever)and was passed by a couple tri ladies I know, then a good decline before another two mile uphill. I made it a lot further than I had planned on or thought I could make. The one serious uphill back was killer and I took a few breaks to get my heart rate down, but those last 4.5 miles downhill were heaven! 37 mph and was I breaking.

My goal for next week is to make it to the second aid station. If I sag there, so be it, but I want to make it that far at least, even if it is an all day affair!

Thanks to Julia, Calyx, Tea, Carla, Doreen, Staci and Melissa for encouraging me!

6 comments:

LBTEPA said...

your attitude will get you there Duane! Looking forward to a great race report :)

Julie said...

Keep up the great work!!! I've never ridden out there, those look like some a$$ kickers!

Danielle in Iowa in Ireland said...

Once you make it to that second aid station, you might as well finish it all!

staci girl said...

I am soooo proud of you! You are such an inspiration Duane Newton! In fact I am going to personally give you 10 bright shiny gold stars!!

Christi said...

I will be at Elephant Rock. We should meet up!

Great job on not giving up. You can do this ride!

Brent Buckner said...

That's a tough profile!