Sunday, September 10, 2006

I Did It!

Wow! I finished my first triathlon! I was last on the course but that's quite all right! My swim sucked (just couldn't find that glide). The first half of the bike was great, the second half was tough! The run(walk for me) wasn't too bad. I almost had my calves cramp up in the last mile but a little stretching held the cramps off.

The race crew waited for me to finish which I am really grateful for (way to go Jess!). My trainer Jess Hogue was there, as was my family, and Jess's friend Frank, who shot a ton of video (thanks!). My daughter Becca also shot some really great video, thanks Becca! My wife Diane is such a great supporter for me and so is my other daughter Kelly! I love you guys! I am already planning on going back for this race next year!

I am going to give the swimming and biking a month off as I prepare for Elk huniting (walking and stairs). Then it is back on to train for a half ironman next summer.

I can't tell you how powerful this is for me! And tears? I shed a bunch! I have to say again that I am so grateful for my family, trainer (Jess), friends, and co-workers who have supported me and encouraged me! Bless you all! And all you visitors to my blog!

Photos will get posted in the next day or so! I'm off to bed!

12 comments:

Stephanie said...

Congratulations! I can't wait to read about all your further tri/race adventures. Keep it up!

Wes said...

Congratulations, Duane! What a major major victory this is for you. I can't wait to hear all about your race when you get a chance to get some rest. This is just, Sweeeeet!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! You are showing people how to chase down a dream.

Jeremy said...

Duane,
Congrats on achieving your goal!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Duane! You are such an awesome inspiration!!! Keep up the hard work and I look forward to hearing about your continued success in the future!

Anonymous said...

We are very proud of you and your accomplishment. Keep up the good work! We'll plan to see you sometime in Hawaii for the event at Kona!!

Trisaratops said...

CONGRATULATIONS! You are inspiring. Thanks for sharing your first race with us!!!

Anonymous said...

Was there ever a doubt! No way! I will never forget this day! You set a goal and you went after it 100%. Never, never a doubt in my mind! You have so much inside of you - I can't wait to see it all come out! You have inspired me!

Jess Hogue
http://www.shapeplus.com

Lisa said...

Hi Duane,

I just read your story on raceathlete and I wanted to congratulate you on your first tri! I've been where you are and I know that the journey isn't always fun and isn't always easy but it is well worth it.

I remember how mind boggling it was to think that I was doing a tri, something that had seemed so impossible just a year before. I totally get the high you were feeling. It's like a miracle that your body can do this, huh? It made me feel alive. I'm hoping to do SOMA next year too so maybe I'll see you there.

Keep up the great work! Good luck. And congrats again.

Jack said...

I read your story and watched the movie over at raceathlete.com, and just want to add my congratulations. Well done! I started walking, then running about 4 years ago to lose weight. I've lost about 65 pounds am running marathons now. Anything is possible once we get ourselves off the couch!

Rice said...

Elk hunting! Would love to read a post on that one too.. I haven’t been hunting in years. I use to go with my dad since I was old enough to carry my own pack. Well most trips anyway some of the bigger trips were just the guys. But he can’t hunt anymore and there isn’t much for hunting here in Nova Scotia so the rifles have been resting for many years now..

Cheers.

Rice.

Anonymous said...

Duane, I'm a 45 yr-old husband and dad of two (boys 18 and 13). I started running and biking this year. I've done a few sprint duathlons, 5Ks, and ran a 1/2 marathon this past year.

I haven't given much thought to triathlons. The swimming just seemed too much. Too hard and too much work to train. And then I saw your video and read about your success and determination.

Your video brought tears to my eyes. I kid you not. It has given me a boost, and I am definitely going to train over the winter for triathlon.

I used to look up to the elite triathlon studs for inspiration. Now I look up to you.