
It has been three weeks since my first race and I still have a natural high, but not quite as much. I have not jumped back in to consistent training yet. Before this morning, I had only been in the pool 4 times, have not biked once, and the treadmill has been about half what I usually do. My weight training has been consistent though. I think the break was needed but now it's time to lay down a base of conditioning over the fall and winter.
This morning I slept in as I did not get to bed until midnight after picking up my daughter at her homecoming dance. I wanted to blow off today and stay in bed since I only had 6 hours of sleep, but that darn zen saying came back in my head . . . "before the race, chop wood and carry water; after the race, chop wood and carry water". I will always have very fond memories of my first tri and I do have a lot to be proud of, but it's time to move on and get back into the training for training's sake. So today I chopped wood and carried water. I swam 90 lengths (25 yards each) in 10 length segments, which is the most volume I have ever swam. I took a 1-2 minute break between each set of 10 and the total time was about an hour and 20 minutes. Total distance? 1.27 miles! I'm happy with that. I know I can do that 1/2 IM in October next year!
Talked with a nice woman at the gym this morning (Laurie) who started Trithlons last year and we were talking about swimming, etc. She was talking about how emotional it was to finish that first one and I shared that when I went over the finish line I was pumped up and excited but then broke down with emotion and shed a lot of tears with my family. This journey is really special and I am so glad to be on it! I look forward to forging many friendships with others on the their triathlon journey!
6 comments:
You persistence is very inspiring! Next year, I will start my own triathlon training. I do have a big lake almost in my back yard. That is a great swim, by the way. Good for you! You rock on!!
Congrats man! Hope the training continues and you see results. Seems like you are hooked onto this Tri thing. Keep it up!
Duane,
Thanks so much for your pledge to my Janus Charity Challenge. I really appreciate your support! Way to hammer through that 1+ mile swim. No doubt you will rock your 1/2 IM in'07! Keep up the good work. You are inspiring so many people with your efforts!
I came here via raceathlete.com I have got to say, you are inspiring & I aspire to show your dedication.
You rock!
I watched and read your story on the RaceAthlete website. You brought tears to my eyes. Congratulations on becoming a triathlete! I cannot wait to read more on your journey.
Thank you! You're amazing!
Love the Story Duane! Never forget that you are not just helping yourself and family with your health and fitness goals but you are inspiring others to do the same.
Keep up the great work!
gavnunns
Post a Comment