Thursday, December 28, 2006

Again?

It's snowing hard, already have 5" of snow on our driveway (Thursday 5 pm). We may get up to 24", bummer! (That was at 5 pm, the girls and I shoveled the driveway a second time at 10 pm and there was an additional 8 inches! There is supposed to be an additional 3-8 inches Friday with more on Saturday. I'll have to break out the truck to cruise around in today, that's always fun!) Here is a photo from Friday afternoon (about 15" at our house), after we dug out again:


It has been one week since I saw the orthopaedic specialist and still no call for the MRI. I played phone tag with the nurse for the last two days and finally I get ahold of her this morning. She says she is sorry but she can't find the results of the MRI. No shit Sherlock! We haven't done the MRI yet because some idiot in your office dropped the ball for an entire week! The preauthorization has not even been requested through the insurance company! I called the imaging office, clued them in and gave them the phone number for the preauthorization, and told the orthpaedic nurse I need to get this done asap! Of course, if I'm not snowed in, we are heading for Arkansas for New Years and the earliest I will be available for the test is the 4th. I am so sick of hobbling around and not being able to walk! I feel like I'm 80 years old!

I was going to blow off this afternoon's swim as the driving was terrible (snow) and I was torqued. But after swimming 1200 yards I had let off steam then relaxed with a 15 miute hot tub. So now I feel bettter after having vented and swam/swum (which ever it is). 1200 yards is good for me but after reading all the other blogs it seems so short! I will get there! Patience, patience. As some have pointed out, 1200 is pretty good. I do have to remember when I started swimming last spring I couldn't do 2 lengths and got seasick!

9 comments:

Wes said...

Let it snow, let is snow, let it snow!! Send some of that our way. 2 inches will shut Georgia down for a week :-) 1200 yards is an amazing swim, my friend. But you will indeed "get there". 1.2 miles is your current mark, right? You will get there.

Anonymous said...

Duane, most people are incapable of swimming 1.2 kilometers. So good for you!

It is frustrating not to train or race the way one wants for any reason, injury included. But it is part of athletics. I'm trying to keep that in mind right now, too!

Wendy (www.off-the-deep-end.blogspot.com)

Unknown said...

1200 yards really isn't *that* short of a swim. Feel good about your accomplishments!!

We're getting snow again too. Not anywhere near as much as you, but this is weird weather this winter!!

Spandex King said...

Duane, Keep at it. All that shoveling has got to count for something. Good luck with your MRI and keep on swimming. 1200 yards is great. It is the swim that fears most non-triathletes about the sport. Most people could not pump out more than 100 yards. Good luck and Happy New year!!!

Anonymous said...

okay... to clear it up for you, it should be referred to as "done swum"... just thought you should know.

secondly, 1200 is nothing to sneeze at. i remember being totally proud of myself with my 300 when i first started. the i would watch benny do 3,000 and seriously considered divorce. but, the only person you should compare yourself to is you.

btw... i saw that you've linked me, and i can't explain why, but i feel like i've finally arrived in blogland. i mean, it's DUANE!!!! he was on raceAthlete! he's famous! thanks for the linkage. i appreciate it!

Duane said...

Nytro, you are too funny! And of course I had to link to your blog, it's too good to be missed! I love it!

Joy | Love | Chaos said...

If the grass is always greener, than is the snow always whiter? 'Cause I'm having some serious winter envy of you guys out there in CO. I know, I know...it's a pain in the butt. But from my vantage, that would be a really great Christmas/NewYear's treat.

Now, stop comparing your yardage to others!! What is that saying...there will always be someone better than you are, but not someone nearly as good... or something like that.

Enjoy your family trip, the snow and the festivities. Drive safely!

Dr. Iron TriFeist :) said...

What do you mean? 1200 yds is just a few hundred hards away from an olympic distance swim, 1500 m. Not shabby at all.

Stay safe in the snow!

Mary Sunshine said...

Duane,

Have been reading bits and pieces of your blog and want you to know that I think you are awesome! You are going right on the "my heroes" list when it gets updated in 2007.

In my humble opinion, adverse weather conditions help you to realize how much you should cherish every training opportunity. It is a Blessing to move! Keep up the great work!

Mary K. Sunshine