Saturday, January 27, 2007

A Committment to Me

First off, thanks for all your encouragement! Today's new blogger added to my list of favorites is . . . Megan

It is snowing again, six weekends in a row. Ugh! I went to the gym this morning and was going to swim 1200 yds but I snapped the band on my goggles after 800. Did 100 yds Anchor Drill, 100 yards Finger Tip Drag Drill, then 600 yds freestyle (20:10). I thought the pool was supposed to have water in it, not molasses. Oh, it was water, I was the molasses! I wanted to set a baseline for my first race in July ( Cornman) for 500 meters, and am hoping once I'm a little more svelte, I will create less drag and go faster. Then I did 30 minutes on the stationary bike. Last night I had a kick- ass workout with Jess on legs, chest, biceps and triceps.

I have been contemplating my weight/eating/training/goals/Hillary's run for president and my navel, and here is what I have committed to me:

1. I will follow my dieitician's food plan faithfully. If any adjustments need to be made, I will consult her about it, I will not be designing my own food plan - I keep forgetting that I designed my way to 471 pounds, shuh! (That's the southern word for duh). I will not be jumping around from plan to plan (thanks Pol).

2. I will continue to train for the Redman 1/2 IM in Septmeber. I believe I can get in that good of shape and if not, then it won't be from a lack of dedication or effort on my part. If I have to wait until 2008, so be it. I am in this for the long haul. I cannot determine how fast the fat come off, I can only determine how consistent I am in training and eating. The weight will come off, I just can't plan on how fast. I'm okay with that.

3. I am going to study for and earn my Personal Trainer certification (A.C.E.) so I can help other obese people get in shape and change their life.

Last year, my mantra was "I don't need a pizza fix in 2006". I did go the entire year without a single bite of pizza. I still have not eaten any this year and may not. I have come up with my mantra for 2007 - "Am I fueling, fattening, or medicating?" A great question to ask myself each time I am standing in front of the refrigerator or pantry!

I so much enjoy the Tri Blogosphere! I do learn a lot from you all and the support and encouragement really does make a huge difference! I hope to meet as many of you as I can in person as I pursue my goal of "50 by 70" ( a race in each state by the time I am 70).

Tommorrow it's back to the pool and stationary bike. My goal next week is 5 days on the bike, 4 days swimming, and 3 days weight training.

Hope you have an awesome weekend and week!

16 comments:

Bigun said...

Glad you didn't give us much commentary about your navel, thanks!

Herself, the GeekGirl said...

I would LOVE to hit the pool. Unfotunately, the gym is clogged up for the next two months with new-year resolutionists.
Good luck on your 2007 goals!! Good luck on your ironman quest!

Flo said...

Those are excellent committments!!! I have to say sticking with 1 plan is one of my problems. I swear I have ADD and get bored and want to try something new. For the entire month of January I stuck to an eating plan and what a difference it makes. Good luck and we'll be eagerly watching your progress.

Mary Sunshine said...

Dear Duane, I agree so completely with what you said about eating. I used to be close to 300 lbs and still struggle every day with eating the right portion sizes. It's part of my life as a compulsive overeater.

I want to applaud you loudly for your goal to become certified as a personal trainer. I think you can change other people's lives--help them be happy and give them inspiration to fight the good fight.

Virtual hugs,

Mary

Dr. Iron TriFeist :) said...

Yeah! That's a great list of goals.

Anonymous said...

Duane, you rock! Enough said.

LBTEPA said...

It's always a pleasure to read your posts Duane becuase you are so courageous, honest and positive. I comfort eat especially when under stress or tired from training! The support and knowledge I get from online friends is another tool to overcome it. You've had a lot of setbacks and ups and downs - and you're not going to give up! Take care and keep at it

Unknown said...

Excellent! You sound upbeat again. Great goals. YAY for you!!!

Brent Buckner said...

Good on ya!

Lisa said...

I like your mantra!

I really need to get back into the pool. I'm having the post-marathon slackfest. Reading about your swims makes me remember that I really need to get in the water this week!

I'm not very good at sticking to a meal plan. I've committed to giving up as much non-whole grains as I can manage, but otherwise, I'm pretty much a food slacker.

Great job on not eating pizza... I love pizza way too much! :)

"davfid" said...

Duane,
I came across your website last week when looking for some inspiration. It sounds like you are back on track with a level head. I am a new blogger and can be found at davfid.blogspot.com if you would like to hear my story.

A year ago I was 340+ and a few weeks ago I finished my first 1/2 marathon 80 pounds lighter. Maybe we can plan to meet at the SOMA 1/2 IM in October.

Keep up the good work.

David

jbmmommy said...

So, how about your navel? Just kidding.

Good for you for sticking with it and realizing where you need outside help. Your food mantra is awesome, I need to stop my unconscious eating as well. I'll get there. Wanting to help other people be becoming a trainer is very admirable of you. I think sometimes when people have never been overweight they have no idea what a struggle it can be to "just change".

I look forward to meeting you when 50 by 70 takes you in the direction of the northeast!

Jeremy said...

Excellent goals, Duane. Keep up the good work!

Donna said...

Keep on keeping on Duane... we all have the days that drag on us!!!
Need a weight workout buddy? Maybe we can kick each other in the butt (literally) as we can't reach our own. :)

Wes said...

Well, I don't agree with Bigun. I would like to know, "What's in your navel?" :-)

I luv your attitude! You HAVE to ask yourself why you are eating. That means you are thinking about it before you start. That is a great idea, only second to the idea of getting your A.C.E. I'm already busy enough, but if my life changes, I would like to do that one myself. I think.

Jessica said...

I love the mantra - fueling, fattening, or medicating. I'm going to think about that when I'm in front of the fridge...or the Starbucks pastry display. :-)