I just got back from swimming - distance: 2200 yds (7 x300 yds and 100 yds at the end) = 1.25 miles; time: 1 hr 20 minutes; one minute rest between each set; avg time per 100 yds: 3.22 minutes, I'm approaching tugboat speed!
I am going to take Nytro's advice and take Monday morning off and no training at all on Tuesday. I do tend to be compulsive at times and don't want to over train. Sunday will be 20-30 minutes on the stationary bike and then I am going to sit, R.I.C.E. my ankle, and watch football all day!
This week was pretty good for workouts and food, except yesterday I succumbed to donuts at work and Lasagna last night, ugh!
I have 79 days before I turn 50, which has put me in a mode of being filosofical :-). I'm trying to stay away from doing any "What if", "If only", "I could have . . " thinking. I am trying to stay forward focused. Example: my hair is turning gray, but I still have a full head of it! I have mentioned before that I have set a goal of doing a race in all 50 states by the time I am 70, whether a tri, du, run, swim, or bike race. This summer I will scratch Iowa and Arizona off my list (Arizona if I can get down to wetsuit proportions). I'm still struggling to hit the 100 pound weight loss mark. I still need to lose about 150 - 180 pounds, so I am going to focus on eating really clean and being positive.
Both of my daughters are going to do a kid's tri this summer so I am really looking forward to training with them. That will be sooo cool! (I would say groovy, but most of you young 'uns may not be familiar with that word!)
I love reading your blogs and love the encouragement I receive from you all! Have a really great week!
This weeks workouts so far:
(Physical Therapy on Tuesday and Thursday)
Monday - Swim 1200 yds (4 x 300), bike 20 minutes (Stationary bike) Done
Eve - chest and back; Done
Tuesday - Swim practicing bi-lateral breathing and some sprints Done
Wednesday - Bike 10 minutes; eve - Legs/triceps; Done
Thursday - Swim 1200 yards; (300 yds X 4) Done
Friday - Bike 20 minutes; eve- shoulders/biceps Done
Saturday - Long Swim 2200 yds Done
Sunday -Bike 30 minutes Done
10 comments:
Well, 50 isn't that bad. I'm rapidly approaching it and it's not near as old as it used to be :) My boss is 61 and she's done 25 Ironman. Her first one was in her 40's.
I really like that goal of racing in all 50 states by 70. I may have to borrow that one:)
That is so cool that your kids are getting involved. I think that's the greatest gift we can pass on to our children, healthy habits!! Have fun training with them.
Duane,
You do such a great job of blogging your workouts and goals and times. It's amazing that you can be so disciplined. Do you use a Garmin or Polor monitor? If so, what kind? I'm ready to stomp my Garmin to pieces--maybe a few more years of engineering school and I'd be able to figure this thing out!
Mary
Good swim session Duane!! How far could you swim when you started training for your first tri?
Enjoy your Sunday. Saturday is my day off training. I've been puttering, and watching figure skating.
Every birthday is a cause for celebration. Filosofer or no. ;-)
Wendy
www.off-the-deep-end.blogspot.com
Hey Ladies! I don't usa a HR monitor or Garmin, I'm not that high tech yet. I count my pulse for 6 seconds and multiply by 10! I read where people use the Garmin and talk about splits, etc, and I have not figured that stuff out yet. I just try to finish at this point :-)
When I started swimming at the beginning of last March, I could only swim 2 lengths, got seasick, and didn't know how to breathe under the water! I'm very happy with my progress!
I love reading your blog becuase it has so many lessons that I benefit from - your attitude, for one :)
And your girls are doing a tri soon! That's marvellous.
I tend to take a day off if I'm feeling weary and flat because if I push through that feeling I nearly always hurt myself. It's all about balance, eh?
7x300? Wow! You are quite the swimmer. I could barely hang today in my 8x50s... That is really cool your girls are going to tri. I've had a head full of grey hair since I was 25. I think I've just about lost all of the brown now.
you're doing great, Duane - keep it up. Don't fall into the trap of trying to keep up with everyone else - stay within yourself in your training and stay injury free and not overtrained. Very cool that your kids are tri-ing too - sounds like you are quite the roll model. Lay off the dognuts (I had a couple this week too....bad Marc, bad...) and STAY HUNGRY!
Duane, you've come so far in the pool in less than a year! That's a tremendous accomplishment.
Great job on the swim! I've lost track of my weird goals but one that I have that includes the number 50 is to do the "Best of the U.S." race in each of the 50 states. I think your goal is more feasible but still it gives me an excuse to travel.
If you want to cross New Mexico or Texas (by racing in west Texas) off your list look no further, I'm your recon man. I'll even race it with you and you could crash at our place.
you've done some hard work in the pool - good job! i have two kids and i think there would be nothing better than sharing my love for tris with them. i hope you and your kids have fun working out together - you're a great role model for them!
Post a Comment