Thursday, January 04, 2007

Ortho Report

Had my MRI done last night (finally!) and just came back from the Orthopedic Dr. The good news is that there is not a stress fracture. The bad news is that there is a moderate sprain and overuse trauma. So the rehab plan is this:

1. Walking cast for 4 weeks and the only time I do not have to wear it is if I'm sleeping, swimming, driving, showering, or biking (low wattage).

2. 6 weeks of physical therapy 2x per week to strengthen my foot and ankle. She highly recommends a certain PT practice that is supposed to be very good with foot injuries and orthotics and they are covered by my insurance and they are in the building right next to where I work!

3. R.I.C.E

Then I go back to the Dr. in 6 weeks. Hopefully I will be back on the treadmill in about 8 weeks, but even if I dont't get back to walking for 10-12 weeks, I would still have 30-32 weeks to get up to walking 13 miles, which I think is realistic. I know I can swim 1.2 miles, I've done it twice, but I need to take off about 10-15 minutes which should be do-able. I also need to work up to a 56 mile bike ride by then, again I believe I can achieve it. I'm scrapping the 1/2 marathon walk in April, not realistic at this point.

So in the mean time, my workout plan is swimming 3-4 times per week, stationary bike 2 times per week (hopefully), and weight training 3 times per week with leg workouts being restricted to leg curls and leg extensions, no pushing movements.

And for your enjoyment, here is how we snorkle in Colorado with all this snow (and no, that is not me in the photo!)

12 comments:

Wes said...

Sweet. Now that we have a plan, we just need to get it done! Persevere! That picture looks painful :-)

Duane said...

That would shrink us up, eh?

Brent Buckner said...

Glad to know the prognosis is for no permanent issue and that you have a clear path forward.

Anonymous said...

Duane, that's fantastic news! (Did you ever think a sprain would be good news??) I'm a very big believer in physio, so I think the proximity and technical skills of the clinic you'll be going to is just tremendous.

Sometimes these things become opportunties -- like the opportunity to focus on your swim technique.

Wendy (www.off-the-deep-end.blogspot.com)

Iron Pol said...

Okay, first, that picture. That's just wrong. Hilarious, but I'm just saying...

It might be that I'm just jealous you thought of it. And that you have snow.

And where you're at, right now, you are building aerobic base and that can be accomplished in the swim, the bike, or the run. With the run out and the bike limited, I'd consider the Mike Ricci plan of hitting the pool every day. After 30 days, you'll be pretty close to that 6 week review.

Glad to hear it's "minor" instead of a season ender.

Bigun said...

not sure I want to see that snow angel.....

S. Baboo said...

It's great to know what's going on. Now you have a plan.

I don't know what to say about that picture... I like to be fully dressed just looking at snow.

jbmmommy said...

Glad you've got a plan in place. I hope that the healing progresses as quickly and smoothly as possible.

Hilarious picture, too.

the Dread Pirate Rackham said...

I know how you might feel about injury. after breaking my arm, I did pop out whole on the other side, so this is just a blip. Physio actually is kinda fun, you get to learn a lot about yourself in the process.

And that picture? ow. Ow. Ow.

Lisa said...

So glad to hear that you're doing so well, and the injury isn't as severe as it could have been!

And that picture makes me shiver, just looking at it! Send some snow our way! :)

LBTEPA said...

What good news! You are handling it in such a sensible, forward-planning way. And as Iron Pol suggested, you can use the time to really get your swimming established and build a strong aerobic base for when you're back into it:)
Thanks for the email btw :)

ShirleyPerly said...

Whew! Glad to hear the good news. Just don't get any ideas from that photo. Wouldn't want you to lose any essential limbs ;-)