Just got back from the gym and had a really great workout. Swam a total of 12oo yds (100 Anchor Drill, 100 yds Finger Tip Drag Drill, 100 yds freestyle, then 900 yds straight in 21:30 - a PR for me). Then had a great 30 minutes on the stationary bike, high cadence, and got the heart rate up pretty high.
I have one more week of physical therapy left. The last two weeks have been tough but my ankle is getting so much better now. I have had two days where I almost walked normal and had only a little pain in the tendons, more of an ache. I'm glad to be out of that walking cast after 4 weeks!
I have a question for you experienced triatheltes - I read about you riding on your trainers and I don't have one at this point. My biking workouts are on the stationary bike at the gym (too much snow, ice, and sand here for the next month or two). It is one of those that I can adjust the program, intensity level, etc. What is the difference in the two methods as far as results and that kind of thing. Is it worth it to get a trainer to ride my bike on or is the stationary bike sufficient? Thanks for any input you give!
Oh yes, since I am turning 50 this year, I have set my goal on 5 races! One for each decade. I know that sounds like a lot, but I will be taking it easy in four of them. At this point, I don't race in triathlons, I particpate in them :-)
17 comments:
Good job on the PT! You will be better for it in the long run (no pun intended).
David
Nice workout!! Take it easy on the ankle. I had ankle issues in 2005 and rushed it; ended up hurting myself again, so be careful.
a race per decade...nice!!
hope your ankle heals up quickly.
On the trainer question:
Are you riding the stationary bike at the gym because the weather is really bad? I ask because if you will spend most of the summer riding outdoors on your bike, it's no big deal.
If you ride the stationary bike because you have to arrive early to work and rarely ride outside on your bike, I would suggest buying a bike trainer. A trainer gives you more time on your bike. A half ironman ride takes a long time. Your body has to be ready for the aerobic effort but it also must be prepared to sit on your bike for hours. While you can train the aerobic effort on a stationary bike, it's not your bike. The seat position is different which means your leg muscles are working differently. You want your body to work efficiently with the bike.
Don't forget about fit. As you get stronger, your ideal position on the bike may change. The only way to know that is by riding your bike. The more you ride your bike, the better.
The other advantage of a bike trainer is that you can always work out, even if you're snowed in so badly you can't find your car in the driveway. :)
On the bad side, it's harder to adjust intenisty to the exact level of effort you want. It's not impossible but it's not a button away. Trainer rides can be boring unless you set up the trainer in front of the TV or something.
Those are my thoughts. I'm sure others will offer their thoughts! :)
Sounds like the ankle is on the mend. Way to work through the injury!
I don't know which is technically better, but I prefer riding my bike on the trainer as opposed to a stationary bike at the gym. Mostly because my bike is set up for me. The positioning and angles just feel better. You can get a great workout... I spend time in the aerobars, simulating climbs, working on pedaling speed, etc. In the end it is all about pushing yourself on either.
Oh, one real benefit of having a trainer... no waiting for a bike at the gym. :)
Glad to hear the ankle is responding well. Keep listening to it!!
Great workout!! I'm glad to hear you're healing nicely.
I also have no experience on a stationary bike but ride my bike on a trainer five to six days a week. I need something to motivate me and use a number of different Spinervals DVDs. I find that the combination of riding the bike I race with along with the workout DVDs gives me a solid, honest workout that will hopefully allow me to transition to the road when the weather clears.
Hi Duane,
I use the trainer because it helps me build my cycling muscles in a consistent fashion that I wouldn't get by using different bikes. My weak link is actually my neck where I have arthritis and some herniated disks from time to time so I try to get used to being in the aerobars and other most used positions on the bike I use in triathlons. Her name is Bessie, actually. She's a silver and red Serotta--a Mother's day gift from last year--my mid-life crisis bike. ;-)
Congrats on your wonderful swim and workout! Your stroke looked really good in your video. I should do drills also but seldom have the self discipline to actually do them. I need to work on this.
wishing you happy miles,
Mary
one more comment, personally, I use a trainer so that I can spend time on my own bike. Also because I'm too lazy to go to the gym...LOL
Duane? 900+ yards straight thru in the pool? Just damn! That is, ummmmm, incredible in my book. I personally think if you are keeping the proper muscles in tune for biking, you'll be fine, but the other tris you know and luv will have better opinions than mine.
50!!!! good grief you're old, MAN! I'd have figured that people your age should have walkers and be sipping geritol all day! And here you are swimming like a champ...great job! Just kidding about the age thing, BTW - some friendly ribbing...
Do everything you can to follow through on that ankle. I usually get over anxious to come back fast and mess something else up.
Trainers are evil but ride one anyway because stationary bikes are even more evil.
I do everything humanly possible to get out on the road but I know sometimes it just isn't that safe. Fortunatly for me those days may only be two or three in a row at most. I spend the rest of the year developing a big fat base so I'll usually just bag a workout on a nasty day and be just fine.
I've done stationary bikes, spinning bikes, and my bike on a trainer.
Trainer.
Definitely trainer.
No contest, trainer.
Did I mention trainer?
As the rest have pointed out, it's best to log time working your legs (and your back) under the fit conditions you'll have on the road.
tip for the trainer: I use a gel cover on the seat so I can tolerate more time on the bike.
another tip: you may want to do a few spinning classes so you can emulate the workouts at home on your bike or buy some Spinervals DVDs to keep your intensity up.
Hi, fro germany. I prefer a trainer at my home! It feels better,when you sit on your bike- that's training, too, cuz' it's not easy for (6 or more?) hours to sit at your bike! And it's not expensive. 180 $ for a new one schould be enough, or you can buy a used one for less than 80! train smart,race hard!
Hi Duane - my personal preference is the trainer at home for a couple reasons - first, you are on your actual bike, so you can get used to the fit, the comfort, etc. Also, for the longer rides, it's sometimes nice to have a t.v. where you can watch your movies or whatever, rather than HGTV programming, like at my gym (I was never a fan of the home-makeover). Finally, you can get the same type of variety in terms of intensity, hill simulation, etc. on a trainer by increasing resistance and using your gears. But mostly I like it because its my bike, and I can get off, go to the kitchen, or pee at any time. So its good.
Also, awesome race goal - that's super huge!
Post a Comment