Saturday, March 03, 2007

The Weekend and Videos

Feels like I'm back in the saddle again. Had 2 great weight training workouts this week and had a killer workout this morning - swam 100 yds drills, then 1200 yds non-stop in 35 minutes (except for those darn turn-arounds at the end of the pool), then 100 yds drills. That's my longest yardage non-stop without breaks so far. My birthday is coming up . . . Endless Pool . . hint, hint. Then it was 30 minutes on the stationary bike doing intervals. I'm tuckered out. My cardio fitness has gone down a long way in the past three months do to my ankle/foot. But I have to remember where I was a year ago, when I couldn't even walk out my front door to my car in the driveway with out being out of breath! I also couldn't swim two lengths of the pool without being seasick! I feel a tinge of optimism :-)

Tommorrow I will be back in the pool where I will do a few sprints and mainly working on my left-side breathing. My ankle and shoulder are getting better. I have declared March "Rehab Month" as I still have 4 weeks of PT to go. March will be swimming, biking, and weight training. Hopefully by April I will be walking for exercise (I go for a follow up with the Dr on April 9th)

Here is some video to inspire you (tears will be coming):
Ironman
Sara R.
Julie Moss
The Hoyts

12 comments:

Spokane Al said...

I am glad to hear that things are back on track. When you figure out how to get an Endless Pool for your birthday, please let me know - I'd also like one.

Flo said...

Glad to hear things are coming together. It's amazing to look back at where we came from. That's how you keep your eye on the progress.

Wes said...

1200 yards straight! Holy Crap that's good!! Keep workin it Duane! You are awesome...

momo said...

i'm glad also that things are looking up for you, you're doing great, duane!

i love that video of the hoyts. all of them, they're so inspirational. thanks for posting!

TriShannon said...

Great swim!! I too remember the first time I went to swim. 1 lap and I had to stop to catch my breath. My first race was a 500 meter swim and I thought doing 10 laps would kill me. Definitely helps to remember where we started... progress is everything!

To answer your question from your comment on my blog. My coach's name is Cody Waite. He started Endurance Performance Coaching. He coaches triathletes, cyclists and runners. He is in the process of changing his website so it is currently down. I started working with him in October... I think it has really helped! Oh, and he is in Denver, not Boulder where most of the tri coaches are, so that is nice.

M said...

Awesome progress! And happy birthday coming up - I'll send good thoughts for the Endless Pool!

TriSonq said...

Duane. Great videos.

BTW. You are an inspiration also.

We all are inspiring each other.

LBTEPA said...

How wonderful Duane - what a long way you have come :)
Good luck with the PT and walking soon!

Iron Pol said...

Awesome job, Duane. The most significant key to success is that you are there swimming when you should. And keep in mind that getting from survival swimming to 1000 yards takes far more effort than getting from 1000 to 2000 yards.

Keep up the great work and you'll see the improvements coming in leaps and bounds.

Brent Buckner said...

Strong workout.

We don't come back from layoffs as quickly as we hope, but nor as slowly as we fear.

Wrenched Photography said...

Glad to see you back on the bandwagon. 1200 yards is great. I know a lot of people who cant swim that distance. Keep up the great work!

the Dread Pirate Rackham said...

I remember when 50 yards was a struggle. And it wasn't that long ago for me - so Good for you!

I wonder if aquajogging would work for you too? As a way to do some running training without aggravating your injury? Ask your coach what he thinks...