Wednesday, July 25, 2007

The Day After

Yesterday I was really down about my weight and was very emotional and tired. But instead of stuffing the feelings down with food, like I usually would, I just experienced them and didn't eat over them. I am very happy about that small bit of growth (even though I was a basket case).

Had a 55 minute bike ride this morning and rode around the lake, very peaceful. Did 9 miles for an average 9.8 MPH. Up from my average of 8 mph. Not fast but an improvement! Watch out Mary, I'm gunnin' for ya!

Tonight is a short swim of 400 warm up, 2x300 moderately fast for the main set, and 200 cool down.

18 comments:

Wes said...

Life is measured in small increments, whether that is two back to back runs without walking, or realizing what is happening and why and adapting. Way to go, Duane!! Please continue to share your little victories with us as well :-) Have a great day in the pool. It's a long one for me!

Jane said...

I am completely an emotional eater too. But I think we are both trying to replace it with better coping mechanisma, i.e. exercise. I have lots of good book suggestions if you want them.

Spandex King said...

Your doing great!! Your an insperation to me. Keep at it!!

Amy@RunnersLounge said...

The biggest myth about fitness and weight is that the progress happens in a logical straight line. Enjoy the peaks and valleys - it let's you know you are human.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Brigitte said...

I know I am no one to talk Duane, but you can do it. You are so much wiser now. Keep at it, your plateau will finally break soon.

Oly said...

Dude.... we all have the bad days no matter what our abilities are, hang in there brutha.

Your a fighter! ;)

bigmike600 said...

Way to recognize what is going on and take matters into your own hands and deal with things without food. Take it from me D. I know how hard that is and you continue to show how tough you are mentally and physically. Can't wait for your next race report.

LBTEPA said...

That is a HUGE not a small thing to learn Duane. And after a while feeling those feelings isn't so bad. Well done on this breakthrough.

S. Baboo said...

There is nothing so powerful as learning to sit with your feelings. Keep up the good work!

the Dread Pirate Rackham said...

good for you - you know what you could have done and you chose a different path.

That, my friend, is progress. No matter how you slice it.

Steve said...

You continue to inspire me! Brother when I am down and don't think that I could do it, I read your blog and I read your race reports and then the next thing I know is that I am out doing my workouts.

KrissyGo! said...

I'm going to skip the IM analogy and opt for the Hill O' Death:

Sometimes the medium-shots of our endeavors can be as overwhelming as the Hill of Death. Remember when we came around the corner and saw that thing? Oy.

But you tackled the Hill, and you tackled this low the same way. Was it hard? That's probably an understatement. But walking off the course wasn't even on your radar.

I think facing your emotions without resorting to food is similar to facing the H.O.D. It is miserable, but you've proven that it won't break you.

Congrats on an important milestone.

Dances with Corgis said...

Very cool to NOT binge based on emotions. I haven't turned that corner yet. Kick ass, Duane!

Iron Eric said...

I am really starting to enjoy the morning peaceful rides. Keep up the good work! You are doing such an awesome job. You're even doing more races then me. Way cool!

Mary Sunshine said...

Duane,

That reminds me...I still need to post my "confession" about our swim competition. You still have me beat there! I'm hoping we can swim in the river together during the Gatorade practice swims in Louisville.

Mary

Di said...

Duane, you are doing an amazing job. I don't always comment but I do always leave with a warm smile in my heart. Today is no different.

momo said...

duane, this is a huge milestone, i hope you realize that. recognizing what you would have done and choosing a different direction is big step on the path you've chosen to take.

you are making incredible progress, both toward your physical goals and internally - where it counts the most. great job.