Tuesday, July 31, 2007

I am grateful

Grateful

I know many of you have food/eating issues like I do. Talking with another blogger this morning really got me thinking about this area of my life. I have made a lot of progress in this area but still have a long way to go. And I am not immune to backsliding.

I am grateful that I have not been bingeing. I still over eat on occasion, but have not had my head stuck in the refrigerator in a full-blown binge in a long time.

I am grateful that I have not hit three fast-food drive through windows in a row because I’m full yet starving, in a very long time.

I am grateful my health is returning and that I get the privilege of participating in triathlons.

I am grateful for my family and friends.

I am grateful for the incredible friends I have made in this community.

I am grateful for not stuffing down my emotions with food. I can’t tell you how many tears I have shed lately. It is so different to role with the emotions instead of stuffing them down with food. (I didn’t realize how sensitive of a person I am).

I am grateful for you (damn, there go those tears again)

25 comments:

KrissyGo! said...

Duane,

This is a wonderful post. I'd like to echo the sentiments.

Tri-friends like you are definitely keeping me afloat during my transition to Iowa.

(See my post from last night...)

Anonymous said...

Duane, I have yet to meet someone immune to backsliding. You have made a remarkable transformation, and we are grateful you let us come along for the ride!

bigmike600 said...

Duane
You have figured out what some overweight people never will. It took me 20 years to realize that over eating was my fault. Because I could not deal with my emotions any other way. My friend, we have now figured out that there are better ways to deal with emotions other than food. Sometimes crying is the best one.
Stay strong and know that you are not the only one who battles this stuff daily.

Spokane Al said...

I have always been one who is partial to quantity over quality when it comes to food. Couple that with a slowing metabolism as I get older, and I know I face a continuing, lifetime battle.

Your words hit home with me.

We can beat this and we will.

Dan Seifring aka "OBRATS" said...

Here's to being grateful Duane (as I raise my bottle water to you).

Spandex King said...

I'm grateful for you!! Your insperation to me. I have shown your video to so many people. I'll never forget the first time I saw it. Keep up the hard work!!

SWTrigal said...

I have had my own addiction issues to deal with, not specifically food, but i can relate to your struggle. It will get easier, I believe and binging will be a thing of the past.. A minor blip in your history of becoming the new you!

Wes said...

Right back at ya tri-dude. Come'on now! Iron in 09 :-) I believe!!

Jane said...

It's a topic that related to alot of shame, so kudos for being so open about it (as I am not.) It's easier to have a drug or alcohol addiction because the goal is complete abstinence, and well, you gotta eat! Also it's not illegal. Food is also so loaded with emotions and social interaction. Happy to talk with you more at length about this. People who don't have "food issues" don't understand, and this includes therapists!

Brent Buckner said...

Thank you for blogging!

ShesAlwaysWrite said...

Even though you're fighting a bit of a battle at the moment, it still sounds to me like winning the war is a done deal. You've already made the hard choices and have dedicated yourself to doing the hard work. You're a role model and an inspiration to so many people and I think it's wonderful you're brave enough to share your difficult moments as well as your victories.

Just remember what Iron Wil always says when it feels things aren't going right - hang on and keep moving forward, because it's just ten minutes to the other side of the prozac patch.

jbmmommy said...

I'm sure many people can relate, whether it's food issues or other issues in their life they have to overcome. You should be so proud of yourself for all of the hard work you've put into getting yourself to where you are now and you'll keep on going until you've reached your goals in all areas I'm sure. You've made a wonderful change for both yourself and your family and you've inspired many others to do the same. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

LBTEPA said...

THANK YOU DUANE
(((hugs)))

Tea said...

I can't thank you enough for allowing us all to be part of your journey. I can only hope to be as strong as you are one day.

Di said...

Duane, thank you for sharing and thank you for being a part of this community. You are an inspiration.

M said...

And I am grateful for you.

Unknown said...

Thank YOU Duane, you are an inspiration to so many of us right back.

rebecca hallin said...

I leave today for ORE for the nieces wedding. It will be hard trup at times as I will see my mom and dad and all my sisters and my mothers health is failing quickly. I am not sure if this will be the last time we are all together before we loose here. I too battle that food issue and will try hard to not eat to crazy while on vacation

Rice said...

No matter how hard one try you you'll never truly be out on your own..

cheers.

Rice.

Vickie said...

Yes, Duane, triathlon has that effect on you. It can help you overcome adversity. I've had my own set of problems in past years. We should all be grateful we have found this way of life and each other!

Kate said...

Hey there~

Hang in there. Stay strong and if you do feel a binge coming on... call one of us! You have my number, we will talk you off the ledge!
KT

Dances with Corgis said...

The best quote I've heard about binging is "you can't change what you just ate, so there's no point in beating yourself up. just change what you are GOING TO EAT next."

I am exactly like you with the binging... keep on plugging away in small incriments, duane!

Herself, the GeekGirl said...

Awwww...Duane, we're grateful to know you, too.

Jenny Davidson said...

Yes, your blog is really great and very inspiring... good luck with the ongoing work.

Podium quest said...

Dang Duane! Talking about hitting home! I'm so inspired by you. Thank you for your honesty and conviction.