Saturday, April 12, 2008

Richest Man in Arizona? IM AZ Report #1

I dont know if I can really convey in words how I feel right now, but I will try.

Yes, I feel like the richest man here at IM AZ. Last night, at the tri-blogger party, hosted by Andy and Dana Shetter, Stronger herded everybody outside into the back yard. She wheeled out a really nice looking Cervelo tri bike and started talking about how she had posted on her web site something about a drawing for the bike and all those who had paid a fee had their names in the hat for the drawing. She brought the pot over to me and had me draw a name out of the pot.

I drew a name out of the pot and the piece of paper said "Your blogging buddies bought you this bike. We love you Duane." I was stunned. All of a sudden everyone was grinning and I knew I had been set up. I don't think I was very coherent after that for a long while. Bigun and Taconite were on the phone and I remember talking with them, but I am not sure if I said goodbye or not. I was really in La La land. (Bigun and Tac, if I didn't finish the conversation with you I surely apologize!).

Apparently Stronger and Commodore had organized this and even my coach and trainer knew about it! As I have said before, I never knew what I was getting into when I signed up for my first Tri and started blogging. The training is great, the races are great, but the people who are now in my life blow me away. I am truly rich with love and friendships.

After I came to my senses, I enjoyed the rest of the evening. I had planned to sleep in till 7 am but woke up at 5:30 thinking about what I wanted to say on my blog. Then the tears came and an incredible feeling of gratitude washed over me. You know me, Im a softy and I am very touched. I will try to be worthy of this gift from my friends who continue to touch me in such an incredible way.

Tri-blogging, who knew it would be so life enriching? Carrie, Commodore, Megan, Momo and Big J, Pirate, Andy, Tri-dummy, IronShelly, I'm Able, Brent, IronWill, Bold, Bigun and Di, 21st CM, TriMama and Tac, Nytro and Benny, Krista and Shane, Renae, Kim, Jenny, Chris, Laura, Lana, Dr Bubba, Hillary, Lauren, TryGreyhound, Donald and Tiffany, Wylee,and Molly, I have not met some of you yet,but I will! In the meantime, I thank you from the bottom of my heart! You have blessed me greatly and
I will follow through in my quest to get healthy, become an Ironman, and help others get healthy. I will pass on your kindness to others. (I hope I did not miss anyone!) Love you! ("oops. I'm leaking again)

Left to right: Megan, Momo, me, Andy, Carrie, Big J, Benny, Nytro and Krista

51 comments:

LBTEPA said...

CONGRATULATIONS again Duane ((hugs))

Born To Endure said...

Don't leak all over your bike..I was so happy to be able to contribute too...we love you too!!!

Anonymous said...

Congrats! Once I found out about it I knew I wanted to be a part of it. You have inspired so many people, and all you have to do to remember is look at that new ride! Thank you for sharing your journey with all of us.
Renae

Di said...

I don't know anyone who deserves it more! ;)

Iron Krista, "The Dog Mom" said...

It was a true pleasure to meet you and be part of this! You are a great inspiration!

The (IRON) Clyde said...

Hi Duane, friend of Megan (Proj Procrastination) and Cheese's...can't wait to follow you on your journey with your new toy!!!

Melissa said...

OMG! That is so awesome!! Enjoy your new ride. :-)

Anonymous said...

WONDERFUL!!!!

I just can't wait to see race pictures of you on your Cervelo!

Unknown said...

That is incredibly awesome. Can't wait to read about your endeavors with your new ride!

Wes said...

Duane, you deserved that bike before you got it!! Since we already have pics, we need a name :-) Get bizzy!

S. Baboo said...

Enjoy Duane, you'll put may good miles on that baby!

Unknown said...

now thats a badass bike there. Ride the wheels off her!
Congrats!

21stCenturyMom said...

Whoot Whoo <- that's a wolf whistle.

Sexay wheels! I'm really glad I got to be a part of making it happen for you. Keep training - keep tri-ing! I hope we race together again someday - somewhere where it isn't so stinking hot, that is!

Anonymous said...

dude... you've earned it. it was a no brainer. good luck with all and i hope to be racing with you again!

luv,
nytro

Unknown said...

OH MY GOSH how great! I am so happy for you. let me know when you are back home and we can meet up for a ride! How exciting for you!

Iron Eric said...

How cool is that! You deserve it Duane!! You are one of a kind and inspire so many.

Whats next? Are you going to shave your legs??

crazy tri mama said...

okay now i'm leaking all over! i remember that video of your first tri and how inspiring it was. now i can't wait to see what you do with this new ride. don't llok back, keep pushing forward!

Iron Pol said...

I caught Commodore's post and stopped by to see "your side of the story." You really deserve the support of others because you're always there supporting them.

Enjoy the new ride!

Ryan said...

I kinda got teary eyed reading your reaction.

Mine would probably be the same.

But, then I would ruin the moment by spouting some inappropriate comment!

Hey its just what I do!

Congrats on the sweet ride, the only problem is . . . . .

You Gotta Ride IT!!!!!!!

Brigitte said...

Wow, you deserve that gift because you are an amazing person. I would have contrituted gladly if they had ask me. :) Have a nice ride.

Mary Sunshine said...

GASP!!!

I'M SO HAPPY FOR YOU!

I agree with brigette.... Where can I send a contribution?

I'm headed out into the cold cold rain now to ride but will be warmed by the thought of you on your new smokin' hot yellow bike!

Sarah said...

Well that is pretty much the best thing ever!! You do have some amazing bloggy friends. Cheers to that!!

The Original MAJ said...

This is all I have to say . . .

http://megganann.blogspot.com/2008/04/thank-you-thank-you-thank-you-thank-you.html

Lauren Starks said...

Enjoy that new ride!

H said...

CONGRATS on your new bike!

This is one of the most heartwarming things I've read. You deserve to have such a great group of friends... you're so nice to everyone.

Kate said...

Congrats, congrats, congrats. That bike is HOT!

I also would have loved to contribute!

Good luck with your season. Hope to see you at another race.

Fe-lady said...

Enjoy your new wheels Duane (I TRIED to contribute, but something happened with the paypal account and it didn't go thru...so NEXT time!) :-)

Melissa said...

Duane, you so deserve this. I didn't know about it but I would have happily contributed. You inspire me all the time. Thanks for sharing your story. This is just the beginning and I look forward to hearing about your new adventures on your butt kicking bike. No more duct tape baby. Have fun!!

Take care,
Melissa

triguyjt said...

awesome duane...congrats....
very nice

Steve said...

Very Cool!!!! Duane you continue to inspire me. I have been down a little lately and when I need an UP feeling I read your blog.

Ride on!!!!!!!!

Donald said...

Ride it well, dude - that's how you pay everyone back. Have fun!

Véronique Meunier - Triathlon said...

Duane,
It's yellow: you're gonna be too fast on that bike!!!
Enjoy the ride, I am so happy for you!

Dan Seifring aka "OBRATS" said...

That is awesome.

Anonymous said...

I love your title and I think quite a few Angels out there across the blogosphere just got their wings.

Congratulations and don't leave that beautiful thing sitting in the garage. Nothing would make your friends happier than seeing you ride it across the IM line in 09 or 10

heeee hawww!

Herself, the GeekGirl said...

Well, you wanted some inspiration at IMAZ, right? Can't think of anything more inspiring than that! It was great having you in Albuquerque and I hope you can stop by again some time soon.

Bolder said...

you've been an inspiration to many Duane, and still are...

i hope this new ride takes you to even newer places!

Tea said...

Congrats Duane!

Enjoy the ride!

Steve Stenzel said...

That's AWESOME!! Congrats!!

SWTrigal said...

All I can say is WOW! You will love your Cervelo..hope to see it in CDA.
:)

monica said...

first time to your blog through bolder. now i can't wait to read about your journey on your new ride!! is that the cervelo dual?? SWEET!!! i have the same bike except mine's not speedy yellow, just silver.

ride on, man!!!

Carrie said...

:)

Lisa said...

Have fun with your new ride! It's a beauty.

I wish you all the best on your journey! You have a geat support team and that makes all the difference.

Supalinds said...

You are an inspiration to us all!! Congratulations.

Anonymous said...

You da man....Ride strong!!!

Big J..

P.S. You have me thinking!!!

Pharmie said...

Congratulations! Wear that baby out. Does it have a name yet?

LittleRachet said...

I'm so happy for you! Keep going strong - and now do it in style!! :D

Triseverance said...

Wow Duane, never visited before but you have obviously touched many peoples lives with your story. Use the bike as another conduit to inspire more people. Take care.

Lesser is More said...

Congrats. Looking forward to future race reports with lots of pictures on the bike!

Alili said...

What a wonderful surprise. You are so deserving of this-you have touched so many, more than you could imagine.

:)

Becca said...

that's a kick ass bike! I'm jealous!

TriTurtL said...

Wow! That is one of the coolest stories ever! Couldn't have happened to a nicer, more worthy guy. :)