Brandy, my sweet co-worker (who just did her first Ironman and needs to get her race report up SOON!), walked into my office last week and handed me a piece of paper with the letters WWAIMD on it.
I have latched onto it as my mantra/motto for the upcoming year. It is starting to permeate my thoughts as I go through the day. For example, I was tempted the other night to pull into a fast food place on the way home from work as I was tired and feeling lazy. But I asked myself if Ironman would do that or go home and fix a healthy meal. I drove on past and made the right choice.
So what WOULD an Ironman do? The most important thing of course is to not lose focus on being a good dad and boyfriend, but aside from that, all you long distance athletes can now share your wisdom and advice with me.
So . . . WWAIMD?
13 comments:
I love it... The physical part is easy. It's the mind you have to overcome. Stay smart!!!
I love it! I am actaully going to brrow if I might! I am an aspiring IM(Wisconsin 2101) and what do I do? Enjoy the steps and progress of each workout and each week as it brings me closer to the start line! Each day WWAIMD becomes an easier question to answer! And most of all, HAVE FUN! it's not brain surgery! Cheers
I am not an Ironman but I think the main thing is to maintain focus and your slogan will definitely help with that!
Damn now I have to keep it up for all you cute juniors. What is going to keep me honest over the next 2 years is wanting to get faster. So this ironman is journaling all her food on her fancy new iPhone. 10 lbs is supposed to equal an hour on the course.
I find myself asking myself that question even after the race--especially after the race--because people now have expectations of me they didn't have before I did the race. Its an image thing. It definitely keeps you focused for any future endeavors. And if it becomes an image thing for you while training, it will keep you focused on your goals even while the training gets tough or you have doubts about yourself.
WWAIMD?
Anything and everything a mere mortal would.
It's a small part of everything else.
You are still the same person once it's over.
Nothing really changes-
at least for me it never has.
I still put being a mom, wife and good co-worker, teacher over being an "Ironman" anyday.
That is such a good mantra - how does each thing I do get me closer to my goal? Thanks Duane!
If you do pull into one, I have another one for you before you order... WTFAID. What the F am I doing? Paste that one on your drivers side window so you can see it before you order.
Hopefully you never use it
That's funny!
WWAIMD? Nice! I like it.
and you did the perfect thing. Thought about it, but kept driving.
As everyone says, its mental toughness. Work on it each day. But always remember that the fuel you put in your body could be the result of a not so good workout. Reward yourself occasionally as that is a must but staying consistent is the KEY.
Merry Christmas!!
rockon'
The thing that gets an AG athlete through an Irondistance race is belief. I can't tell you how many times I reminded myself - "I can do this!" and that kept me going. Believe in yourself and believe that the work you are doing will get you where you want to go and the rest will fall into place.
Well, an IM would NOT eat that cinnamon. Hence, my problem....
Post a Comment