The excitement and elation over having finished my first triathlon have come back down to normal levels and I have nothing slated for the near future. It is 364 days till my first 1/2 IM distance race (Soma, in AZ), a little over 10 months until the TriGlenwood Sprint, and July 8th will be the Cornman Sprint race in Iowa ( I have set a goal of doing a tri, du, bike, or run in all 50 states by the time I am 70 years old). I've been bummed there is nothing in the foreseeable future as far as a race goal.
So, I have decided to do the Platte River 1/2 Marathon on April 1st (I will walk it) . This gives me five months to prepare for it. I also desire a goal sooner than that, so I am going to do walk a 10k on my own on January 15th. So now I have races in January, April, July, September and October!
Now there, I feel much better! Also found out I will be featured on the 10:00 news on Channel 7 (ABC) and again the next morning. Hopefully this will inspire someone to get in shape or even try out this triathlon world!
14 comments:
Nice blog design update.
What does or doesn't motivate us is markedly individual. Good call on making your season fit you.
I'm in a similar non-motivating time after finishing my first season. I've also decided to add my own "races". The first one didn't quite work out, but at least it gives me a goal.
I hope the TV story goes well, you do have an inspirational story to tell!
I think everyone goes through a little bit of after the race blues. It's like, Yea, I got it done, but what now :-) Races are fun, but we always have to fall back on why we do this. That should help keep us motivated between events. Won't be long, I'd say, before you'll be running these 10Ks and halfs. Keep up the good work, Duane.
aww too bad i missed it
I'm the same way - I have to have a race on the horizon to keep me motivated - luckily I live in Florida where there is something going on practically year round. Keep it up - good to see you are still positive!
I can't agree enough -- having goals in the near future helps me keep on track, even when those further away are usually loftier.
I love your idea of having your own 10K in January! You know...you should do something akin to Stu's Worldwide triathlon -- get a bunch of fellow runners/triers to do a 10k run or walk that day in their own hometowns, too. I would be game!
Duane, love the new look, and the new outlook! Good for you for making your own 10K!
I am on a runners high lately. I knwo it will end, but I love it in this stage.
The motivation will be there - not to worry!
You are doing awesome Duane!
Duane,
Those goals sound fantastic! Congrats by the way on your spot on the news. You continue to inspire! Keep up the good work.
Sounds like you're taking it slow and steady - good for you! Perhaps we'll see you at SOMA in 07!
The winter months are the toughest to get through. Fortunatly because I live further south i can easily turn to running events but you can also just turn to enjoying running, biking and swimming simply for the pure pleasure of doing it, just you some time and an enjoyable activity.
Holy moly, the Platte River Half is one of THE coolest races in CO! The shirts are great, and the post-race food is ridiculous. The Buckhorn Exchange makes a TON of food, and there's a HUGE BBQ at the finish line. It's just a really, really fun experience. It'll help you stay focused through the winter! (If you want a super-crazy project, sign up for one of those snowshoe races. Snowshoe Shuffle at Vail is a huge one, and a lot of people walk it. It's the most fun I've ever had in an athletic event.)
Good luck!
-Steph
it's a very good plan to have something to train for especially in the winter. Good on you! Looking forward to your HM reports (and all the others in between)
take care
Having that next race is always a kick in the pants to stay moving on the path to a healthier lifestyle. Nice work also planning your own 10K goal that you will do on your own. Initiative is a great thing.
Post a Comment