Thursday, October 19, 2006

Miscellaneous


Just watched the video at raceAthlete.com (www.raceathlete.com) about Dick and Ricky Hoyt and the tears flow once again. Man they inspire me! They are part of the reason I decided to pursue becoming an Ironman. They are two of my hereos!

Just got back from elk hunting with my daughter Rebecca (who just loves being in front of the camera) and my great friends Joe, Greg, Kyle, Adam, and Bazooka. We didn't get any elk but we sure had a great time. I ate the wrong foods and had too much Captain Morgan. I slipped on some snow when we were packing up to leave and tweaked my lower back. I was so sore this morning I could barely get out of bed, so no workout this morning. I hate missing workouts but that's life.

I met yesterday with my new tri coach, Kylie Ramsey, of Peak Potential Coaching, (www.raceppc.com). She laid out my next three months of training and I am excited to get started!

I will still strength train with Jess Hogue (www.shapeplus.com) .

My basic schedule to build a base of endurance is as follows:

Monday - AM: Swim, PM: Strength train and treadmill;
Tuesday - Rest
Wednesday - AM: Swim. PM: Strength train and treadmill;
Thursday - AM: Walk
Friday - AM: Bike, PM: Strength train and treadmill;
Saturday - Swim and Long Walk;
Sunday - Long Bike

At this point my weight is still way too high to run, but come July, I will start some light jogging. I plan on running at least 3-4 miles of the 1/2 IM and walk the rest.

Tomorrow (Friday) I am going to Boulder to have a video analysis done of my swim and have a swim lesson from Mike Ricci of D3 MultiSport (www.d3multisport.com). I will go back for another one in the spring and then one more in the summer.

Saturday evening Jess and I are going to Boulder to meet the raceAthlete team, should be fun! I'm sure loving this new path!

3 comments:

Iron Pol said...

Such a good post it had to be said twice (or thrice).

Swimming and biking can provide the same aerobic gains as running, and the obvious goal is to minimize injury. At this point, you're doing an awesome amount of training. I used to be one who figured running was the best way to go, and was shocked when the addition of swimming led to twice as much weight loss as running alone.

Be careful of that back. Those are hard to replace or repair.

LoneStarCrank said...

Duane great work and great change to your lifestyle. If you decide to come to Austin for the Longhorn let me know. I'd love to meet up with you and show you some good Texas hospitality.

I look forward to watching your progess and can't wait to see the finish line pictures!!!!!

Rice said...

Lol.. I normally hurt myself in one way or another when I dace to long with the Captain too.. I am jealous. I go for a run in the park and the smell of the fall, its like a instinctive urge in me to go hunting..

Cheers.

Rice.