Friday, December 08, 2006

Crap-oh-la!

Just got back from the Dr, I have a !@*% sprained ankle. So that means no treadmill and no bike for a few weeks, at least. So, what do I do for the next few weeks, sit on my fat butt? No! I am going to swim, swim, swim, and swim some more (of course, I will build slowly). Mike Ricci did say that was a good way to get in touch with your swimming (or something like that). I will still be able to weight train, except for legs.

As far as the diet goes, I realized today that one really good thing is that I am so stuffed from eating good quality foods that there is not much room (or desire) for bad foods! My co-worker Kathy brought in Larmar's donuts today at work at I wasnt' even tempted, and I love Lamar's donuts!

Tommorrow is trim the tree day and I guess I better start on some X-mas shopping! Have a great weekend and I hope you do not let the holidays stress you out!

12 comments:

jbmmommy said...

Sprains are the worst. I hope that swimming doesn't aggravate it and that it heals quickly for you. Nice job resisting the donuts!

Bigun said...

a little early for christmas shopping, isn't it?

mmmmm, donuts....

get in the pool, man - look at the sprain as an opportunity - you'll be an awesome swimmer over the next few weeks, and, your ankle will heal better with the water therapy!

Barb said...

Sorry to hear about the ankle! I'm glad to hear that you are going to use the time to swim more! Definately gotta look on the bright side and stay positive!

Good job just saying no to the donuts! OMG, there has been a ton of chocolate around my house lately! It's difficult to avoid that stuff this time of year! Arrggg!

Donna said...

Way to go Duane! Keep in mind that the ankle setback is all part of the misery of the success. Or something like that. This way you just have more time to focus on a few other things. Keep it up!

Jim Vance said...

Great to see that you maintain a positive attitude, despite all the challenges and obstacles you face. You will become an IM soon enough, I can already tell.

I'm enjoying following your story. Best of luck...

Wes said...

I've learned, from other bloggers, that one of the secrets to being a good Half IM or IM distance tri-athlete is to swim with just your arms. Go get'em killer! You find the positive in everything.

Herself, the GeekGirl said...

Ugh! That sucks, dude. I've heard of flotation vests that you can wear in the water to keep you buyoant so that you can "water jog" without putting weight on your feet. I think the water has to be up to your shoulders to begin with, but it's a possibility.

Eric said...

Sprained ankles are simply annoying. Everyone has to deal with them. Can you do some water running in addition to swimming?

Even the swimming is a great cardio workout for you. That's one of the great things about triathlon........you are rarely at a loss for what to do when three sports are involved. Keep lifting also.

LBTEPA said...

Boo to the sprained ankle!
But it's a good plan to use the time to do some intensive swimming - pool hours are how you improve!
cheers and happy holidays to you (I've finished my shopping, thanks for asking)

Iron Pol said...

On Mike's orders, I did 30 swims in November. Take this time with the sprained ankle and do the same.

I was willing to heed Mike's words, but a bit pessimistic about the amazing results he mentioned. No longer. I'm not swimming a whole let better, but I am a whole lot better at swimming.

Lisa said...

Sorry to hear about the sprain!

At least you'll get lots of good quality time in the pool! :) Aqua jogging is also a good exercise as well. :)

Unknown said...

Hey, I just saw your TV feature. Way to go. I did my first Ironman in August. It was a tough day (I threw up during the bike...), but it was one of the greatest days of my life. After having seen and talked to all the people who PASSED ME on the marathon (including people in their 70s and 80s), I am convinced that anyone, from any walk of life, and starting from any physical condition, can complete an Ironman if they want to bad enough. I wish you the best and will be pulling for you throughout your journey.