Friday, December 01, 2006

The Ugly, the Bad, and the Good (sorry Clint)

The Ugly? My foot is worse than ever. I can barely walk on it. The Dr saw no stress fractures and I haven't worked out on it for almost two weeks. Now the inside is hurting, as is the arch. I am wondering if the chiropracter screwed it up.

The Bad? My shoulder (actually rhomboid area) still hurts a little but is getting better. It never hurt before my race but has started hurting since which tells me it's either my new stroke I changed to or the chiropracter. I'm going to stop the chiropracter visits and see what happens and will probably modify my recovery stroke a tad. I really, really miss swimming! I have not been in the pool in two weeks. I am really bummed today.

The Good? I have been corresponding with Colleen the nutritinist from D3 Multisport. I gave her all my data and RMR and she apparently thinks I need to eat more. I am going to have a consult with her next week and get this nutrition thing figured out!

Hope all you bloggers have a great weekend!

8 comments:

Wes said...

Hang in there, Duane! Pretty soon it will all be beautiful. Injuries are just something us endurance athletes have to deal with. Tee, hee. At least I think I'm an endurance athlete, LOL.

Carrie said...

Switch the chiropractic session for a massage therapy session.

LBTEPA said...

If US chiros are anyhting like the ones in OZ then be careful as some can be dodogy. Can you see a podiatrist? Better to take a couple of months now and sort it out than get a chronic injury (I KNOW)
Well done for seeing a nutritionist! I thought your unusual situation would be beyond the expertise of Google and well-meaning friends.

Lisa said...

I've never seen a chiropractor, so I don't have advice there.

I do know how annoying foot injuries can be. Take care of it! I found that a tennis ball rolled under your foot can help deal with some of the pain in the arch. Good luck!

Iron Pol said...

My primary care physician is an osteopath and uses OMT (sort of a MD version of chiropractics).

My past history with chiropractors would lead me to say, "Run," despite your trainer's admonitions against running.

My DO managed to resolve a major tension issue by manipulating my pelvis back into place.

I think your assessment is correct. And ibtepa probably has a good point. Take a break from the chiropractics and let a doctor see the foot.

S. Baboo said...

I was seeing a chiropractor for my early season hip problems. He was a specialist in sports medicine. Told me I had torn the inner thigh muscle a little and the build up of scar tissue was probably causing my discomfort so he started on a routine of deep (painful!) massage and cold laser treatment.

Turns out I had a fracture in two places. If I would have kept going it would likely have turned into a complete break.

Injuries are never anything to monkey around with but it is especially the case for big guys. My fracture did not show up on an x-ray until it started to heal and then the Sports Medicine physician that I went to could see the calcification. My diagnosis only came via an MRI.

I also used to get a lot of foot and knee pain but it all turned out to be inflammation in the tendons and nerves, depending on which new way I stepped or strode incorrectly. As I have become lighter and more proficient at running these aches and pains have become less frequent.

Keep seeking that balance between fitness, weight loss and overall health.

Robin said...

Hang in there, injuries are a real pain when they interfere with training. I'm limping through a foot injury myself, so you have all my sympathy!

Best of luck in your training.

momo said...

i worked with a nutritionist leading up to my ironman in november, and it helped tremendously. i didn't realize the amount of food i needed to consume to just keep me going. hang in there, hope you feel better soon!