Workout Totals: Three Swims - 3,050 yds; Three Stationary Bikes - 1 1/2 hours; Three One-Hour Strength Sessions; and some ab work. Two sessions of Physical Therapy (those were tough). The ankle/ foot is slowy, and I mean slowly getting better. It's one of those two steps forward and one step back kind of things. There have been a couple of times I actually walked normal. I believe I will be back walking for exercise sometime in March, which will give me 3 - 4 months to build back up to 3 miles for my first race.
My eating was very clean this week, had a couple very small indulgences, but overall, I am pleased. Goal for today - to not pig out on junk food during the game. I am going to break into the 380's by next Sunday! Game on!
Brian had given me something to consider regarding my half iron distance goal this summer. After Diane and I discussed it, I have decided to switch from SOMA to Redman, in Oklahoma. Why? The water temperature at Redman in September should be about 4-5 degrees higher than AZ in late October, although that's not a 100 % guarantee. If I'm not down to wetsuit size, this is a very big plus! Secondly, and maybe more important, the Redman has a full IM distance race going at the same time and I will not have 1/2 cutoff times. I can have the full 17 hours to finish. Brian said this about Redman: "last year I did the iron and the last person to finish came in at just over 19 hours. The race director personally loaded up a golf cart with supplies to make a mobile aid station and followed the guy all the way to the finish".GeekGirl says this about Redman: " Highly recommended! They cater to you. They fuss over you. They are the best stocked aid stations I've ever seen: veritable buffets with goo, enduralytes, gatorade, water, boiled potatoes, ice, etc., and the most enthusiastic volunteers. They block traffic. Safety is their utmost goal. when you finish, you get a finisher's medal and finisher's T-shirt, which is bright red and says, "finisher" on the front and "TRIATHLETE 70.3" on the back. At the awards ceremony, you get a full breakfast and beverages". Sounds like a great place for me! I just want to finish the distance and not worry about my time at this point. I'm still a newbie and still far from my fitness goals. I will need that extra time to walk the run portion.
Also, please check out David's blog and welcome him to the blogosphere. He has just started blogging. He is a clydesdale who is changing his life. He just completed his first half marathon!
Have a great week!
Also, please check out David's blog and welcome him to the blogosphere. He has just started blogging. He is a clydesdale who is changing his life. He just completed his first half marathon!
Have a great week!
14 comments:
Redman sounds like a good race venue. I might have to consider that in '08 when I'm ready to brave a half-iron distance event.
Now that's the kind of race I can dig. If I decide to do a half next year, or anytime there after, I'm going to keep redman in the front of my mind.
Duane, nice job on the weight loss. You stay focused on your training and being smart about eating and let your body do its thing. You'll get there.
Great week! Redman sounds like a good race choice!
Duane - great to hear about your week, and you sound so positive (I am absorbing some of that!) Redman sounds really interesting, and I want to look into it. Here's to you for a well-done week! meg
Redman sounds actually feasible for me. Well, other than the Harvest Moon Half. I'm just not ready for the big boys yet I guess lol. And, I might actually have to take you and Bolder up on your offers. ;D
Oh that race sounds just perfect! And congratulations on the lost pounds :) it's so hard to lose weight when you are eating to be active!
I'm impressed by your workout schdule too - sending foot-healing vibes :)
Reading your quotes of what Misty and I said about the Redman makes me all sentimental...Oh my god, the process of rationalizing why I SHOULD do the Redman 70.3 this year has already begun!
Duane Redman sounds like a marvellous race for you! (And this is a fabulous example of the very supportive nature of tri-bloggers.)
Keep 'er going!
Switching to Redman is an inspired idea. What a relief to have no time pressure.
Congratulations on the weight loss and consistent workouts, too!
great job on the weight loss this week! you are doing awesome. redman sounds like a really good choice, i've heard very nice things about the course and the race atmosphere.
Duane, Redman sounds like an awesome idea. Thanks for mentioning me on your blog. It is very encouraging to get comments from around the world. I wish you continued success on your weight loss.
David
Small gains lead to major changes. And if you focus on the training and diet, the weight will take care of itself. Prior to using my training log in 2006, I rarely weighed myself.
When I did start weighing myself, I had already lost 30 pounds from my last known weight check.
I like the thought on switching races. A bit more time and having the full 17 hours can't hurt. Keep up the great work and positive attitude.
I CANNOT BELIEVE YOU'RE NOT DOING SOMA!! benny and i were finally going to get to meet you, since that'll be my half-ironman, too.
you hurt me... for. shame.
We shall still meet! I still have Utah on the list!
Post a Comment