Monday, April 16, 2007

Today

I just heard about the shooting today and am very sad for those kids and their parents. My daughter goes to Columbine and we think about that often. Being a parent, I just think the horror they are going through must be too much to bear.

And I'm mad, mad at the way those who are supposed to serve and protect are now so concerned with risk management and risk assessment. Just like at Columbine, today at VA Tech you see swat officers and others hiding behind trees and cars "assessing" the situation. Get your asses in there and if you get shot, that's why you have the f*!%ing job! Maybe things would not have changed but get your asses in there! I work for the VA and everyday on our web site they have the people and the stories of who earned the Medal of Honor for that day in history. I can tell you there were a lot of people who jumped on grenades to save their buddies and sacrificed their lives without thought of their own safety. Some endured gun fire as they drug their injured mates back to safety time after time and then were killed themselves. The Coast Guard use to have the motto of "You have to go out, you don't have to come back". Now they do risk assessment. Makes me sick.

6 comments:

wendy said...

I hear what you're saying. We're so consumed with a sue-happy society...it's really sad. As a Reservist, when I participate in the "play-war" exercises, I often ask myself if I can really be brave enough to do what needs to be done - I could spend hours reading the hand-written letters in military museums, and citations for those who sacrificed for others.
If the media existed 100 years ago, we would never have survived the Civil War - can you imagine! We probably would have never voted a man in a wheelchair into office...people are too worried about what the news is going to say these days, and bad news makes the news.
Anyhow, just wanted to comment on that. Good luck with your triathlon training! Sounds like you're doing really well.

Wes said...

Everybody is naturally upset about this. No doubt about it. Let's wait a bit and not rush to judgment. I'm sure the stories will come out on who do what when and how. There are good people in this world that will sacrifice on the good of others. Please note that this comment in no way contradicts what you said. It's very accurate. I'm just saying we need to be patient :-)

Tea said...

I used to work down the street from Columbine. Two of my dear friends had children in Columbine the day of the shootings.

I remember the sick feeling and the shocked looks on my friends faces when they heard the news. Then the emotions and the reality that hit when they couldn't find their kids, had no idea where they were, and had no way to communicate with them. (Remember, not alot of kids had cell phones then.)

My heart became heavy and sick when I heard the news knowing that over the next weeks and years, those families would go through the worst pain they could ever imagine.

Hindsight is 20/20. I'm sure the school and police, knowing what they know now, wish they could have reacted differently. It's just unbelievable that we live in a world in which schools are no longer a safe place and each event becomes a learning experience.

LBTEPA said...

I just read about the professor who sacrificed himself to hold the door shut while the students escaped...

Duane said...

That is what I'm talking about! He did the right thing, he should get the Medal of Honor.

Comm's said...

You and I, Let's Roll