Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Naming the New Ride


Okay, I know I am supposed to name my new bike. I thought I would open it up for suggestions. Danielle said: "In a somewhat gross name, my friend who has a yellow bike calls is "Ducha de Oro" which means "Shower of Gold" in Spanish. (If the double meaning isn't already clear, he pees on the bike :-))"

Now I have never peed on a bike and I really am hoping there is a porta potty around when I do an IM! I was also contemplating "Mr. Bee" as in bumble bee. Why? Well bumbles bees aren't supposed to be able to fly and looking at me, I'm sure the same scientists would say I shouldn't be able to Tri. But they are wrong on both accounts!

Then maybe just "Amigo", as in friend, as in the friends I have in this tri-blogger community who blessed me with the bike.

So go ahead and throw out some suggestions! I will be back to blogging Tuesday so I look forward to hearing what you come up with!

Take care!

45 comments:

Wes said...

You need to ride her/him a few times. I have been unflatteringly called, Bike Whisperer. The name will come to you. It always does...

Dan Seifring aka "OBRATS" said...

I like Amigo for the reason you mentioned. Enjoy your ride you have a great support system Duane.

M said...

i like amigo as well. good choice.

Herself, the GeekGirl said...

I like Mr. Bee, for the reason you described. You could do a whole yellow/black theme.

Anonymous said...

I like "Mr. Bee" also, for the same reasons stated above. But I'm also partial to yellow modes of transportation. I have a yellow BMW Z3 that I call my Bumble-Z.

Anyway, I just wanted to say that I cannot think of a more deserving person to be surprised by such a generous gift.

~Terri

S. Baboo said...

How about "Yellow Bicycle", ok, I'm just being contrary. Oh, what about the Iron Surprise?

the Dread Pirate Rackham said...

yellow bike occurred to me also...I dunno about Mr. Bee - bumble bees are not fast, and if you ride that thing long enough, you're gonna be fast.

if you can find your tri superhero name, your bike could be your alter ego?

Bigun said...

I was thinking, "Atlas". But after a little research, Atlas wasn't that cool a dude. Your steed deserves better.

Danielle in Iowa in Ireland said...

Whatever you choose, you just have to make sure you only buy bike clothes and accessories that match it, because really, that's what it is all about :-)

Brent Buckner said...

Often male riders have bikes with female names and vice versa, but most important that the name work for you.

SimplyStu said...

I was in a bit of a slump with the weather in Wisconsin. I was reading all about your trip and bike happenings in AZ. I was thinking "I need me some of that CDA"

Contagious
Duane
Attitude

I know it's not much of a bike name, but I have never named mine. I've tried, but never had anything that clicked.

Thanks for helping me pull out of a slump!!!!!

Oly said...

cool bike Duane.

Smithposts... said...

Nice bike! How 'bout Old Yeller"? Well, maybe not.

LBTEPA said...

Pegasus

Mary Sunshine said...

I've got a poll on my blog for your bike name... I personally favor "Miss Daisy."

As for peeing on the bike...heck, why not? The time i'd spend getting off the bike I could use to lollygag in the transition tent.

So happy for you!

Melissa said...

The Wasp-you know a play on the whole BEE thing, but Wasps seem more scarey to me and you are going to be scarey to contend with in those races when you whizz by on your bike.

Melissa said...

I was just on mary sunshine's blog to vote in her poll for your bike name and I voted for Killer. It goes with the whole bee thing too. You know, Killer Bee. At least that's what we say in our family. "Man, that was a killer bee." I like it. I've never named my bike maybe this is the summer to do it.

Later!!

Duane said...

Mary also had Hammertime, which makes me think of MC Hammer and "Cant touch this" LOL

H said...

I like the Bee thing!!!

Anonymous said...

catch me up with what is going on with you.

Jenny Davidson said...

I vote for Pedro, Chapu or Chespirito:

http://www.snpp.com/guides/chespirito.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/El_Chapul%C3%ADn_Colorado

Papa Tweet said...

Nytro likes buttercup and riding miss daisey, and I like old yeller'. If anything else comes to mind, we'll let you know.

Kate said...

I like Amigo or Wasp. Sweet, sweet ride my friend.

anji said...

How about Mister Bumbles (or Bumblez if you want to be hip, hehe)

And it can't be Mr. but --- Mister, 'cause you're a force to be reakoned with!

triguyjt said...

spanish flair...


cometa de amarillo

yellow comet

Jumper 2.0 said...

I named mine buttercup, but if you do end up liking that name, I'd be honored to share it.

the Dread Pirate Rackham said...

Ooh! I got one!

You could do the french version of the yellow bike: Le Velo Jaune

(kinda sounds like Le Maillot Jaune - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maillot_jaune

Melissa said...

El Toro- cause you are gonna grab that bull by the horns and be a winner. You Stud you!! :-)

KrissyGo! said...

I vote for Amigo...and that story is one of the coolest things I've heard in a really long time. (Clearly I need to get back to blogging more regularly!)

Anapico said...

I like the bee concept a lot. It should be a big, powerful bee, though. So,

Hornet!

http://www.hornetcountryspiritwear.com

Anonymous said...

Cool bike Duane! I like El Toro.

Melissa said...

I named my bike this weekend. I named her Rosebud because of her dark red color and I think I'm going to call her Bud for short.

How about SLAB stands for Stings Like a Bee from the Muhammad (Sp?) Ali saying, "Floats Like A Butterfly Stings Like A BEE." I was going to shorten it all but then that would be FLAB SLAB. :-)

Have fun picking a name. These are all great ideas. Thanks for getting me in the bike naming mode. It just came to me on my 17 mile ride yesterday and I've had the bike for a couple years now and had no luck naming it before.

Have a great week!!

Pharmie said...

It'll come to you. I usually recommend that people get to know their bike's personality before deciding on a name. I do like amigo, though, as well as Bumble, and BB (bumble bee). Good luck!

Carrie said...

Singing..."They call it mellow yellow"

or "Peeps" like those marshmallow peeps that come in bright yellow...since it's from your "peeps".

Fe-lady said...

"Buzz" for the Bee colors and also for "Buzz Lightyear"- because it will take you to "INFINITY AND BEYOND!"
Heh!

Podium quest said...

How about the intimidator? (sp?)

Melissa said...

Do you remember Dwayne Wayne from the show
A DIFFERENT WORLD? It was a spin off of THE COSBY SHOW. Well, you could name your bike WAYNE and then you would be Dwayne Wayne.

Anonymous said...

i vote for wayne. possibly the funniest thing i've heard in the last five minutes.

that's hilarious. well played meepa.

Melissa said...

Thaks Nytro. I'm glad I could make you laugh!! :-)

Melissa said...

Thaks Nytro. I'm glad I could make you laugh!! :-)

Bolder said...

stronger beat me to it.

i got 'mellow yellow' when i saw the two of you together...

and, like was said earlier, don't give it a dude's name!

Anonymous said...

My husband's bike's name is Bumble Bee and it's also a Cervelo, though black with yellow highlights. Whatever you decide, I think it's wonderful you have so many friends who really care about you!!

Cheryl said...

Wow, Awesome bike!

Being a child of the 70's, the Donovan song comes to mind... Mellow Yellow.

I like Old Yeller, too.

Hope you have many wonderful races on your new ride!

Sarah said...

Those are some great options! My bike's name is Cupcake, but she's tough! Congrats on a fab new member of your family!

Anonymous said...

Nice bike - I'm jealous! How about The Yellow Peril?

Alternativeli, if ya want to stick with your peeing story there's always The Yellow Streak...