Friday, July 01, 2011

Kidney Stones

Good news and bad news. First the bad news, the medicine has not dissolved the big stone or the little stones. I am continuing on with the medication with a huge change in diet being incorporated, and I mean huge. No eggs, no meat, etc. Whey only for protein, most fruits and veges. No eggs (argh!) no chicken, etc. My PH levels are very acidic, which contributes to kidney stones. Shooting for an alkaline state. More bad news: if the big stone tries to pass, it is so big (3 cm long and 1.3 cm wide) it will clog my kidney and they will have to go in through my back, into the kidney and break it up in emergency surgery and I will be out of work/training for quite a bit. So, I can be aggressive and go in and have them do it now, or try and keep dissolving it with the change in diet and the medicine. I am being referred to a nephrologist who is a kidney specialist to see about my chemistry, etc. The good news? Hmm, I'm looking. Oh yes, I am alive :-) And if I don't pass any stones between now and August 7, I will participate in Boulder 70.3 Fingers crossed!

3 comments:

ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

Welcome to the club..
I have been the proud mother to 4 stones (I forgot their names)

Did you say 3cm? Usually they measure these suckers in millimeters. 3cm is a little over an inch long... DAMN!!!

Good luck with that monster...

(some people will do anything to get out of an IM....) :)

LBTEPA said...

Oh my goodness! Wow... well, fingers crossed for you Duane! I know you'll keep after your goals no matter what happens

Wes said...

another challenge within your abilities. kick its ass, Duane...