Friday, November 30, 2007

The Bet

Kyle, one of my co-workers and I, made a bet today. The first one to eat any kind of dessert pastry between now and April 17th (when we go to Turkey Hunting Camp) has to buy the winner a 1 and 1/2 hour massage. This includes donuts, twinkies, danish, cookies, cake, pop tarts, etc. If it's a sweet baked good, it is forbidden! He does have a single out for one piece of cake when his mom graduates from nursing school. But I am taking the high road, none! I'm going to enjoy that massage!

Swam today, just 1350, but it was so great to get back in the pool after a full month off! My shoulder is a little stiff, but I am going to be serious on my conditioning and rehab exercises.

I am back on a structured training plan and pretty much have my 2008 season laid out so I am feeling more focused. My daughter Kelly has committed to doing the Iron Horse Super Sprint in North Platte, so watch out Jay, we'll be visiting! Next week I will train 10+ hours, I'm psyched!

Tomorrow is the IM show on NBC, better take my Kleenex as I always get so emotional, especially watching the age groupers and special interest stories. I remember seeing my first one in person this year and seeing GeekGirl bust through darkness into the finishing chute just before the cutoff (incredibly emotional and moving), and getting to hang with S. Baboo, Dying Water Buffalo, Iron Pol, and Mary Sunshine (all who finished!) And of course Waddler! IM is just too cool!

25 comments:

Bigun said...

congrats on the shoulder, and enjoy the IM's this weekend!

Anonymous said...

Good for you and good for Kelly!

Podium quest said...

Now that is a great bet to make! Win win situation.

Glad to hear your daughter is getting involed in tri also.

Your not the only only one who gets emotional from Iron shows.

Cheryl said...

Congrats on getting back in the swim! And thanks for coming to my blog and kicking my butt. I needed that.

Mile High Multisport said...

It might just be that I'm sick Duane but when I read the bet I immediately thought of the old Seinfeld Episode "master of my domain" and Kramer busting into Jerry's apartment 10 mintues after "the Bet" yelling... "I'm out"...

Wes said...

Alrighty then! We'll be keeping an eye on you :-) Good luck!!

Dory said...

Hey! Great news about the shoulder :o)

... and it's great having a plan again - good luck with your 10hours next week!

LBTEPA said...

good news about your shoulder Duane.
And I know you'll win that bet, you're so determined!

Fe-lady said...

Glad you are back in the pool and shoulder is feeling better.
So, GU and Clif Bars (and others) certainly don't count as sweets, right?
(I would stock up on chocolate GU for the hard times! Tastes like choc. frosting....but good for you! )

Mary Sunshine said...

Dear Duane,

I must say...I LOVE you but really hate hunting. Just had to get that off my chest.

I know that 2008 will be a really wonderful year for you. Just don't go too hard. Find ways to be good to yourself.

Mary

Anonymous said...

Hawaii was AWESOME and emotional and exciting and inspiring! Thanks for letting me know to watch it. How can you not want to do an IM after watching so many people finish and overcome their pain, their fears, and their challenges?! Life is a beautiful endeavor, for sure! I'm glad you made the leap on the contract. :) And super glad you are back to training! (How else am I going to be able to put up with you everyday??? haha hahahaha!!)

M said...

Yeah, I have no idea how you will do the who baked goods thing. I can barely make it 24 without shoving something sweet in my mouth. Cookies, pumpkin cheesecake, whatever.

I'll tell ya what - I will be willing to eat an EXTRA piece of pie for you, if that will help. Yes, I would do that for you. It might be tough, given the little room I usually leave for myself after my own dessert-eating binge, but I can tough it out.

Jane said...

That's a great bet! Massages much better than a twinkie. I'm pretty sure you'll make your goals this year.

Dan Seifring aka "OBRATS" said...

My monies on you Duane. Good luck.

Kate said...

Yay! I am glad your shoulder is going to be alright!
I was just trying to think of a way that I could have a bet like that. =0)

Tri-Dummy said...

Tell Kelly I can't wait to meet her! She needs to come out with you for the Maranatha Triathlon.

Go Mom Go said...

I love that bet!

I just put on my fridge..."WILL THAT MAKE YOU FASTER!?" It is to remind me that everything that I put into my mouth matters.

Laura

Peter said...

Nice bet. Enjoy the massage 'cause with that determination, you will surely win!

SM said...

Good luck on the Bet!!!

Unknown said...

Sounds like a great bet. Glad you didn't bet against me..you'd be getting the massage already.

You are so determined, I love reading about your plans and progress.

Go Duane Go!!

Anonymous said...

Oi, achei seu blog pelo google está bem interessante gostei desse post. Gostaria de falar sobre o CresceNet. O CresceNet é um provedor de internet discada que remunera seus usuários pelo tempo conectado. Exatamente isso que você leu, estão pagando para você conectar. O provedor paga 20 centavos por hora de conexão discada com ligação local para mais de 2100 cidades do Brasil. O CresceNet tem um acelerador de conexão, que deixa sua conexão até 10 vezes mais rápida. Quem utiliza banda larga pode lucrar também, basta se cadastrar no CresceNet e quando for dormir conectar por discada, é possível pagar a ADSL só com o dinheiro da discada. Nos horários de minuto único o gasto com telefone é mínimo e a remuneração do CresceNet generosa. Se você quiser linkar o Cresce.Net(www.provedorcrescenet.com) no seu blog eu ficaria agradecido, até mais e sucesso. If is possible add the CresceNet(www.provedorcrescenet.com) in your blogroll, I thank. Good bye friend.

ShirleyPerly said...

Glad to hear no serious shoulder injury. So brave of you to bet with the holidays approaching!

Spandex King said...

Last night on my way home I saw a bunch of wild turkeys eating cow crap out in a snow covered field. Are ya sure ya wanna eat one of these varmits?

Just made me think of the Phrase. You are what ya eat.

Spandex King said...

Last night on my way home I saw a bunch of wild turkeys eating cow crap out in a snow covered field. Are ya sure ya wanna eat one of these varmits?

Just made me think of the Phrase. You are what ya eat.

Supalinds said...

I am really glad to hear that I was not crying alone on Sunday!

Ironman is totally cool!!!

Sounds like your training plan is locked and loaded. Good luck to you!