So, over the last few weeks, I thought a lot about Ironman Arizona, my lack of weight loss, etc.
Here are my thoughts:
Entry fee already paid: $550, max refund $150. And they don't give your spot to someone on a waiting list.
Ironman is tough: It is the Ironman after all, even if I am skinny and trained up, there is still the possibility that I may not finish, I could bonk, I could have mechanical issues on the bike, the weather could do me in. A finish is never guaranteed for anyone.
So, what happens if I line up and start the race and don't finish (for whatever reason)? I get to race in an Ironman, I get to hang with fantastic people, I get incredible experience for the next one, and oh yes, what a hell of a training day!
Decision made! Unless I'm injured and cannot race, I'm lining up. And if I cannot race, I will be there volunteering to sign up for the following year! (but I think I will be racing!)
Some of those fantastic people!
20 comments:
I'm excited that you have decided to do this and that you have the perspective that you have. I will do everything I can to be there either volunteering helping you as you race or volunteering side by side with you and if you are up to it I'll give you your medal at the finish line. I really admire you and am so glad we have met on here. I cannot wait to meet you in person. You are amazing and you are an inspiration to me. No matter what is thrown your way you always persevere. No matter what knocks you down you always pick yourself up and get going again.
Take care,
Melissa
I enjoy following you on your journey. I'm glad you decided to at least attempt Ironman. You CAN do it!!! If you start and don't finish - it's fuel for your fire to get it done next time!! Keep up the good work. Eventually you will get this weight thing turned around!
You have the right perspective on this. Better to attempt it and fail then to have never attempted at all.
Keep up the training, and with hard work and determination, you will cross that finish line
*wipes eyes* you are a LEGEND Duane and I will be cheering you to the finish at IMAZ (via live feed). Go Duane go!
I think it is a fantastic decision Duane. So now just train your ass off and do what you can do come race day.
Good for you Duane! Getting there is half the battle!
Yes - given how much you want to do it, it seems well worth having a good stab at it...
I have been following your blog. I am so happy to hear you have decided to go for it. I will be volunteering out there this year so will be sure to send you some good vibes along the course. There is still lots of training ahead. You will be doing an IRONMAN!!! YIPEE!!!!!!!!
YAY!
Glad to hear you are sticking with it. By the way, good swim workout. 3700 yards is burly, for sure!
That's great news! I love your attitude. And super job on the 3700 yds! (2400 about did me in yesterday - so I am in awe.)
Well said. Good decision.
Quite honestly, just go on at a pace you can healthfully sustain and don't stop moving forward toward the goal.
Don't stop to talk or linger...just keep going.
Relentless forward motion.
Hey Hotstuff... You're my inspiration!!
Excellent Chosice Duane
Speaking from "toeing the line and not finishing" experianece. Do it.
I had SO MUCH FUN that day.
See ya down here.
A.
Totally agree! A ironman finish is not guaranteed no matter who you are or what you weigh. GO DUANE!!
This is a good decision Duane. The experience is worth every dime. It's not always about what's on the other side ;-)
Great decision. Never say never.
Hi Duane, I was reading your blog quite a bit a couple of years ago (the year of the blog for me) and I'll tell you that your desire to change your life often still resonates with me. We'll get to know each other I think through the Ironmanarizona2009 blog site and you darn well better be at the race.
Here's what I said when I DNFd at the 38.5 ultra run in January: Sometimes when you attempt extraordinary things, you succeed, and sometimes you don't. But it's from the times that you don't that you don't, and live on to try more extraordinary things. All you can do is your best, Duane. And let me tell you, both times that I walked into the 2.4 IM swim, I was pretty convinced I would not finish.
Good decision Duane! The training will definitely be worth it. I know when I attempt something and DNF it just adds more fuel for the next event. I WILL SUCCEED and so will you!
Post a Comment