Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Wrestling

I woke up at 2:30 am today, wrestling in my mind with the coming year. Do I try to do my Ironman in 2010 or not. After some deep soul searching I have decided that I will wait until 2011 for Ironman. 2010 will be a year of focusing on burning off my excess weight, which I absolutely must get rid of. I am at peace with this decision and am now getting excited about the upcoming year.

I think this is the focus I need and will be the most beneficial for me. Long and slow does not burn my fat, I will be doing high intensity during the week and long and slow on the weekends.










My race goals for 2010 will be to complete two half ironman distance races and knock off 3 or 4 more states. I’m looking at VikingMan in June, which would take care of Idaho, then RedMan in September, which would take care of Oklahoma. Hopefully I can do some sprints or Olys in nearby states such as New Mexico, Utah, or Wyoming in my quest to race in all 50 sates (5 down, 45 to go). I will do Glenwood Springs which is a must every year, a celebration of my new life.

Thursday I am off to Tempe to watch Brandy, Andy, Molly, Sarah, Suzy, Cheryl, Barbara, Karla, Tammy, Jeff, Delinda and others do IM AZ, what fun! Blogger party at Andy's! I will be doing body marking with Melissa and then will enjoy the day with Staci. Oh yes!

21 comments:

Iron Jayhawk said...

:hugs: I know you're making the decision that's best for you...I can't wait to follow you as you make great progress over the next year, babe!! :)

21stCenturyMom said...

That's a good plan. Long and slow actually does burn fat but interval work gets your metabolism up so you need them both. Sounds like you are planning on that.

I don't know where you are with getting a nutritionist but I highly recommend experimenting with cutting way back on grain based carbs and spuds. So - very little bread, rice, pasta or spuds. Works for me and may or may not work for you.

Good luck!

Big Clyde said...

Enjoy your time in Tempe, Duane! Sounds like your training and race plans in 2010 are a great ramp up for even bigger goals in 2011. I'll be following your progress!

Big Clyde

kodiacbear said...

If its IMAZ 2011 I am there with you! I have been stealth for so long but need to send out the big kudos to you! slow but sure. Enjoy this weekend.

Brandy said...

I didn't see Boulder on your plans...you scared of a few little hills?? ;)

Sarah K said...

I think that's a great plan! Similar to mine -- slim down and get faster next year. IMCdA in 2011...depending on how Sunday goes. Ack, almost here! Can't wait to meet ya!

Wes said...

No rush. Ironman will be there when you are ready! Go Duane!!

SWTrigal said...

You are awesome Duane-I support you no matter what. You are still you!!
:)

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you are at peace with the decision, that really shows that it's the right one for you.

Fe-lady said...

Sounds like a great plan! Have you ever tried to get on Biggest Loser?

I believe in carbs...so yeah, everyone is different-find what works best for you and you only!

See you in body marking!!!!

(There will always be a race somewhere waiting for you....I have waited 14 years between IMs and knew when it was time not to and TO participate!)

Molly said...

Sounds like you've found a plan that works for you! See you soon!!!!

Dan Seifring aka "OBRATS" said...

IMHO - you are making the right choice. Enjoy watching the IM this weekend.

Anonymous said...

I truly believe this is the best call you could make Duane.

Have a GREAT TIME at IMAZ.

ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

1942 - Harvey Thorleifson is supposed to look for you to body mark him. He saved my bacon last year at the April version.
Great guy to know.

skierz said...

I was a couch potatoe not so long ago! it is awesome when you have the goal set and start training towards it! enjoy the ride! I am registered for IM Wisonsin 2010 !!

Christi said...

Great decision! I hope you have a great time in Arizona!

LBTEPA said...

Sounds good - looking forward to hearing of your new adventures!

LBTEPA said...

Sounds good - looking forward to hearing of your new adventures!

Alili said...

I love that you are going to race in all 50 states! Very cool...and rather tempting. :)

Tea said...

Excellent plan! I was going to do Redman next year, but I think I'm done with long distance tri's. I know it's a great course.

I hope you're having a ball in AZ!

Misty said...

Dude! Duuuuuuude! We'll see you at Redman!